• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help identifying part

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is a starter bolt, and it likely is. I'd not even think about starting it even one more time.

That is it, except the threaded end of mine was sheared off right at the start of the thread. In fact, both starter bolts were sheared off. I only found one, so I'm thinking that one was already missing. The broken parts have already been drilled out and helicoils inserted, so I'm ready for my new bolts to arrive. Thanks for the responses, as I figured with the unique look of that bolt it wouldn't take long for an ID''

papakb

Dave Walker at Walker Truck Parts in Hesperia, California has a kit with the correct bolts and a spacer strap on his site. I tried going to GM when my original broke but it didn't feel right when I installed it. Daves work perfectly.

Action

Your first post stated it had a knurled end. That would be more like a wheel stud, not a regular hex head bolt. Unless someone stripped the hex head a lot.

papakb

The starter bolts have about an inch of knurling on the threaded end and where they usually break is right between the threads and the knurling.

The bolts I ordered are probably coming from Dave, as they shipped from Hesperia, CA. The shim is included with the bolts I purchased, as well. I didn't find a second bolt, or a shim when I removed the starter. At least it will go back on with one. Also, there is a cap that is on the end of the solenoid. When I took it off it looks like a grease fitting is on the end of the shaft inside. If that is what it is, I should probably pump some grease in there. Probably hasn't been done since '87 when it was built.