• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help ID'ing a Deuce from Serial #

Cooltex24

Hey Guys,
This place is awsome. I finally got a username that works, so I am able to post about this truck. I am looking for a m530 fire truck, and I think I have found one. Hopefully you guys can help me ID it, as the serial plates are foreign to me. The guy who has it has just left it sitting in the feild, but says that is does start and run, bonus.
So the guy emailed me the info, and this is what I got:
WARD LAFRANCE TRUCK CORP MDL M44AZWLF-W FIRE TRUCK, 2 1/ 2 TON, 6 X 6, SN: 313369, MILES: 1144, HRS: 222
I have attached the pics that he sent me of the truck and the plate.
I am not very sure of what manufactures made these trucks, but I am hoping that you guys can help me. Thanks.
Scott

Attachments

jasonjc

RE: Need Help IDing a Duce from Serial #

well its a class 530B fire truck. the firetruck part was made by Ward lafrance. Not shure of the chassie

Cooltex24

ok, stupid question, but how can you tell it is a b series and not an a? Thanks for the reply.
Scott

acetomatoco

The chassis is the M44-A2 which is a standard Deuce chassis for use with specialized equipment...Multifuel etc.. So Ward LaFrance got the chassis and built the fire truck on it as part of a contract for the gummint.. The Chassis should have a number like 05xx-1xxxx on the left front frame rail... Made either by Kaiser Jeep, Jeep Corp, or Jeep Division of AMG or American Motors, General Products Division...probably a 1968 or 9 Contract. The real chassis info sould be on the dash plates... Interesting that it has the small blackout marker/park lights and no exhaust stack and a serial number on the body plate which would indicate a early gasoline engine... Could be a later body retrofitted to an earlier chassis. Note that the M44 Chassis is on single 1100 rubber the M45 Chassis would have had 900 rubber...happy motoring

Cooltex24

Thanks a bunch for the info, now I have to convince the wife that this is a good thing :).
Scott

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Remember it is always better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission…...

jasonjc

The big give away is that the 530A still has a front mount pump and does not have the box typ bed. The equipment is just mounted to the side. David Doyle did a article on the class 530 fire trucks in the February 2003 issue of Military Vehicles magazine #95.
I have a 530C I'm working on.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Jason, need any 530 bed parts? PM me if you do!