• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help in Obtaining PTO for Deuce

DocEasy

Gentlemen:

I purchased a M35A2 21/2 T Cargo Trk w Hercules 6 last November at Camp Ripley, Mn and turned it over to a mechanic in SD who has been trying to find
the correct PTO for the transmission since I want to have him convert my Deuce into a dump truck with current bed. The trk has been Id'd by this forum
and it has odd parts probably from O'Toole Army Depot in 92 where it was
rebuilt. It was manufactured in 1975. Now I have taken some flak for the
slow progress that this guy has made but anyways here is the serial number
and model number of the transmission: B92 3540 Model # 3053A. Any help
would be much appreciated........

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The PTO is pretty much the same for all the M35s. The problem you have is the PTO sends power to the front of the truck. You are probably needing to send power to the rear. There are a few different models of deuces that have an accessory drive on the back of the PTO. Regular PTOs are somewhat commonplace, the ones with the accessory drive are a little more rare and costly. The 3053A is pretty much commonplace with the M35A2 and the same PTOs are used with the 3052 in the gassers so deuce PTO's are pretty much deuce PTO's.

DocEasy

Thx for the quick reply. Would you happen to know model number and serial number for the
PTO that would suit my project? Thanks

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Deuce dual output tranny PTO is a model WND-7-28 according to the books. (TM9-2520-246-34)
Data plate should read WND 7 although I have also found some Spicer units stamped WN 7 or ORD 7061137 (equiv. Chelsea Mod# is 308454 3) which are supposed to be front output only, retrofitted for dual output. So tag numbers are confusing.

The good thing is that the rear section itself is the same and interchangeable between 2.5t and 5ton PTOs so you have a much better chance to find one.

Some time ago member Jatonka was offering these dual PTOs so I would PM him.

See pics and drawing for reference. (As you can see I'm ready to build my own "clons" since these are considered close to extinction already..!)

Good luck finding one and be prepared, $$$wise!:)

G.

Attachments

DocEasy

The Deuce dual output tranny PTO is a model WND-7-28 according to the books. (TM9-2520-246-34)
Data plate should read WND 7 although I have also found some Spicer units stamped WN 7 or ORD 7061137 (equiv. Chelsea Mod# is 308454 3) which are supposed to be front output only, retrofitted for dual output. So tag numbers are confusing.

The good thing is that the rear section itself is the same and interchangeable between 2.5t and 5ton PTOs so you have a much better chance to find one.

Some time ago member Jatonka was offering these dual PTOs so I would PM him.

See pics and drawing for reference. (As you can see I'm ready to build my own "clons" since these are considered close to extinction already..!)

Good luck finding one and be prepared, $$$wise!:)

G.
Thx much for pertinent info. Would a electrical set up be cheaper, easier to convert and
work just as well?

Thanks,
Sam:-D

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thx much for pertinent info. Would a electrical set up be cheaper, easier to convert and
work just as well?

Thanks,
Sam:-D
It would be easier and maybe cheaper but it wouldn't perform as well. Electric pumps tend to be very slow compared to PTO pumps. Some people have went electric and like it though.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you only need to run a rear PTO/ pump, won't a civvy PTO work?
If you can find one to fit. Chelsea made one but has been discontinued for several years. From what I've found out is there were very few 3052 civilain transmissions built and no 3053s on the civilain market. So the bottom line is there are very few used civilain PTOs around and they can't be had new.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there were no civilian 3052 made, they were all 31## and were plentiful 40 years ago
I was just going by research I was doing looking for PTOs and other trans parts in the civilain world. Most places that sell civilain trans parts would have info on the 3052 but have never heard of a 3053. That led me to belive that there was a civilain 3052 because it was listed in a civilain parts book. The Chelsea PTO I mentioned earlier is listed for the 3052 only. We all know if it will fit a 3052 it will fit a 3053 but according to Chelsea it will only fit a 3052. I could be wrong on all of this. I'm just going by what people have told me :wink:.

JasonS

I was led to believe that there are two types of PTOs (generally speaking) small (ie. 3052) and a large and that within those respective groups they would interchange; not true?

Aside from the sprag engagement rod, what is different about the 3152 and 3153?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was led to believe that there are two types of PTOs (generally speaking) small (ie. 3052) and a large and that within those respective groups they would interchange; not true?

Aside from the sprag engagement rod, what is different about the 3152 and 3153?
I'm pretty sure the 3052 and the 3053 take the exact same PTO. I know nothing about a 3152 or a 3153 or what they go in. If you meant 3052 and 3053 a 3052 is direct drive in 5th and came out of a gasser truck and a 3053 is overdrive in 5th and came out of a multifuel truck. Both have the sprag engagement rod.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PTO's from the 3052 3053A are the same. Basically a deuce PTO is a deuce PTO. I do have one extra double output PTO but you would really have to coax me hard to sell it. I'll be more inclinded to sell it after I check out the operation of the truck it's on.

jatonka

Deuce Pto's are unique to the deuce. That's the story, it's sad but true. Spicer WN 7 -28 single out put. Spicer WND 7-28 double out put. Accessory drive for WN 7-28 is available in new condition , the PTO it self is no longer made. Chelsea doesn't have a PTO available at all for the 3052 or 3053, and Muncie never did. If some one can prove me wrong, I will greatly appreciate it, I need to find air actuated PTO's for the deuce real bad. JT out

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to find air actuated PTO's for the deuce real bad. JT out
John, I've got some small air cylinders that may work. Maybe you could fab up a bracket to attach it to the shift rod :wink:. I've checked and have came to the same conclusion you have. Chelsea did make one ( my pto dealer shows it in his parts book) but the gear sets are no longer available.