• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help in obtaining registration and parts in California

wolfmangk

Hello!

A friend has given me an M35... I am waiting for him to give me the paperwork on it-he got it in a military auction. Is there anything i need to know as far as registering it in California goes?

Also... I am missing the right hand side rearmost head bolt for the Cotninental LD-465 Multifuel engine..I do not want to start the engine without this bolt. Does anyone know where I can get this bolt?

Here's an odd question... Where exactly does the brake fluid go-and how much brake pedal resistance should I have when there is no air in the air assist tanks? I can only imagine how much fun bleeding the brakes is...

Anyway.. I am happy to be here, and I would very much appreciate any help anyone can offer me.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Need help in obtaining registration and parts in Califor

Registering is'nt too hard if you have the bill of sale and SF-97 form. All you need is a certified weight certificate, and a CHP inspection. The master cylinder is under the access door under the drivers seat, bleeding the brakes is easy with a helper start from the farthest wheel away and work your way forward. The brake pedal should feel pretty firm with no air assist. Where in California are you?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Do your homework by surfing this site using the search engine. You will find all your answers and then some!

jasonjc

bleed between the MC and airpack frist. Then go to the rear most.

nf6x

Feral Engineer

The weight certificate is not required if it will be registered as a Historical Vehicle, but the DMV clerk will probably still tell you that it is. As I understand it, the DMV clerk will start entering your vehicle with a body type of "truck" at first, and the computer will spit out a message that a weight certificate is required (as it normally would be for any commercial vehicle). Later, when you come back after getting your VIN verification, weight certificate, and any other prerequisites lined up, they'll discover that when they try to set things up for the Historical Vehicle plate, their computer will not allow them to use any body type other than "car", and then the computer will not tell them that they need a weight certificate (or accept one, for that matter). Since your clerk probably hasn't had to deal with a Historical Vehicle registration since their training 15 years ago, they won't anticipate any of this.

My first time registering a deuce as a Historical Vehicle, I went through getting the weight certificate and learned all of this stuff the hard way. Each time since then, I helped the (different) clerk through the process (since I've been through it and they haven't!), explaining that once they try to request the Historical Vehicle plate their computer will force them to enter a body type of "car" or whatever, and thus it won't require or accept a weight certificate. Since then, I've registered a number of Historical Vehicles without needing a weight certificate.

One thing that I find helpful is to have the VIN verification done by a licensed VIN verifier from a registration service (look in the yellow pages), rather than bringing the truck in to the DMV. The less the DMV has to see, the less confused they'll get by your out of the ordinary registration.

Also, have ALL of your paperwork filled out properly and completely when you arrive at the window. Be friendly and helpful. Make it easier for the clerk to finish your registration right then and there than to pass the buck to somebody else, because they'll take the easiest path to get you out of their window!

Finally, note that even if your truck is registered as a Historical Vehicle and you never use the truck for commercial purposes, you will still need at least a Class B Commercial Driver's License to drive it legally here in CA. That's not true in all states, but it is true here in CA.

The master cylinder is under the cab, and can be accessed through the little door under the driver's feet. You'll need to disconnect the vent line from its cap (unless it's missing or broken!) and then unscrew the cap with a wrench. Your truck probably needs DOT 5 silicone brake fluid if it hasn't been modified since militayr service, and you probably won't find that at the local auto parts store. There should be at least 2 inches between the pedal and the floor when the pedal is pressed down all the way... if there's less, then it's time to adjust those brakes. I cut a piece of plywood 2 inches wide and glued it to the end of a handle about 2 feet long, so I can stick it under the brake pedal while I'm sitting in the seat and pressing the pedal. This makes it a bit easier to check the gap if you don't have a helper handy.

For your head bolt, try calling up Memphis Equipment at 901-774-0600. Might as well see if they have a gallon jug of silicone brake fluid, too.

Bleeding the brakes is no worse than it is on any other vehicle, aside from having 50% more brakes to bleed! If you need to do it without a helper then there are various options. I don't like those vacuum pump bleeders, and I'd stay away from them. Some folks get military surplus pressure bleeders, or make their own. I swap out the brake bleeder valves with part number SB71620 from http://speedbleeder.com/ . It has a built-in check valve that makes one-person brake bleeding easy, as long as you manage to keep the master cylinder topped up. You can actually grab the brake pedal lever from under the truck and pull it, rather than climbing back up into the cab... just keep the master cylinder topped up or you'll hear that sickening gurgling sound that tells you you're starting over from scratch!

nf6x

Feral Engineer

By the way: you definitely found the right board to hang out on to learn how to take care of your new toy! Have fun with it, and I hope you'll share pictures with us.

Oh, you should also get your hands on all of the technical manuals for your truck. You can get them for as little as $free if you know how to find them!

Where are you in CA?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

wolfmangk, where exactly are you in Ca? I know a place, no inspection, only a VIN verification, no hassles. A private DMV office. A small fee but well wroth it. Most DMV people are goofballs and, if it's out of the norm, they won't even try it.

nf6x

Feral Engineer

I'll happily burn him a CD of the tech manuals for free, but I'm too lazy to take it to the post office to mail it. :drool:

wolfmangk

Thank you guys for the information! I am in Lucerne Valley, CA (High desert, near Apple Valley/Victorville, and sometimes I go down the hill to Costa Mesa, CA.

I definately need the manuals for this truck. I am involved in some other high priority issues right nwo that don't concern the truck, so I cannot devote as much time as I need on it just YET, but that time is coming very soon.

I have a question... I found the vin# on the left hand side of the frame under the fenderwell, but not the factory vin# which I assume is needed for DMV registration. Anyone know where that number is stamped?

And... what exactly is entailed with a commercial class B license-do I have to go to school for it?

I also did email that company about the head stud, I am just waiting for a reply from them-I know that it is a popular engine, they even used it in some tractors for farm work, I would think parts would be plentiful..

My only concern is that the vehicle has been sitting in the dusty, windy desert for 100 years, and this head stud goes straight down into the engine-so how much dust is in there now? The oil is clear and clean-but I also found out the inspection hole cap for the transmission is missing, so how much dust is in the transmission, now?

OK One more weird question.. I was talking to a guy who has this LD-465 engine in his tractor, and he said that the Cummins engine (You know, like in all the Dodge heavy duty truck) makes the same amount of power, but uses half of the fuel. Is this true, or would the 24 valve Cummins/Dodge engine blow itself up int he M35? Plus, where would you find a bellhousing for such a thing? A 20 MPG M35 would be something to behold..

nf6x

Feral Engineer

The number on the frame rail is the factory VIN number. It doesn't follow the modern civilian bazillion-character alphanumeric standard. If your truck's dashboard data plate is original, that number should be on it, and there may also be another number stamped on it and painted in various places on the truck. That would be the registration number, which is comparable to a license plate number.

So, the frame rail number is the preferable number to use for registration, unless the SF97 or other paperwork uses the registration number instead.

Call me paranoid, but I'd consider that transmission with the missing inspection plug to be thoroughly contaminated with dirt. I'd change the oil as a bare minimum, and ideally open it up to clean and inspect it. I don't know whether you could take any shortcuts like pulling the top cover off without removing the transmission from the truck; maybe somebody else here can comment on this?

For the head stud, that'd depend on whether the stud's bore penetrates into the innards of the engine or not. If it does then I'd be worried, and if it's a blind hole then I'd just blow it out. But I'd still be wondering whether the engine has been run with that stud missing, and thus whether the gasket and head are still OK. I agree with you that the stud should be replaced before you try cranking the engine, but after getting the engine started I'd look at it really carefully to see if there are any signs of a blown head gasket or cracked head.

Whether you need to go to school or not for a Class B (or even a Class A, for that matter) pretty much depends on whether you have a buddy with an appropriate kind of truck for you to train on and take the test in. I chose to go to a truck driving school for my Class A license, but some folks manage without spending a lot of money on that sort of thing.

wolfmangk

The engine bolt hole goes down into the crankcase, I put a wire down there and it came back covered in oil. As far as the transmission goes, I have no doubt it's contaminated. I don't want to half ass it, but I might have to move it out of there pretty quick.

And... The number plate is missing. The only number I can find is the 9 digit number next to the stearing box... Will this number be on the form 97, so I know the form is actually for that truck? The fact the number plate is missing is kind of scary.

nf6x

Feral Engineer

The frame rail number may or may not be the number on the SF97. I've seen both the serial numbers (from teh frame rail) and the registration numbers used. Sigh.

If you need to move the truck but don't have time to take care of stuff like that transmission and head bolt, then you should have it towed. A commercial wrecker can pick up the truck by its front axle and tow it on its rear two axles, and the truck driver will disconnect the driveshaft before towing and reconnect it at your destination (and if he won't, then get another driver... this is SOP for commercial truck towing). Any towing company that's equipped to tow commercial trucks should be able to take care of moving your deuce.

If you want it moved with the wheels off the ground, then that's doable, too, but not all towing companies are equipped for that. A Landoll trailer can drag your truck onto its bed with its front winch, then off-load it at the destination, and your truck doesn't need to be running. It just needs to roll.