• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help in the Ft. Benning area

keawe_applewhite

Hello I'm a new steel soldier stationed at Ft. Benning. I was looking for anyone with knowledge of the M1008 CUCV in the area. She has been shuddering on bumps at around 30-35mph. I think it in the front right axle but cannot find out till I get of the ground and shake the tires. Thanks for reading and have a good one.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dana 60 front axles are kinda known for that shimmy once the kingpin bushings get worn.

LanceRobson

Check the tie rod ends and steering link. 1/16" is the max play allowed.

Jack up each front wheel. Give them a solid shake from the top and bottom and from the front and back. There should be no appreciable chuckling. While the driver side is up (engine off, column unlocked), have a helper gently turn the steering wheel slightly in each direction and look for any perceptible lag in the lower shaft moving. A hand on each shaft (input and output) helps.

While the wheels are on the ground (engine off, column unlocked) have the helper turn the wheel while looking or feeling for play in the "rag joint" of the steering column. It's the rubber impregnated fabric, low tech U joint thingy just above the steering gear box.

Unbolt one end of the steering damper and make sure it is damping evenly in both directions with no free play when changing directions.

Eyeball the rubber bushings in both ends of each spring leaf. They should be holding the inner steel sleeve and mounting bolts in the center of the spring eye.

Eyeball the area around the steering gear to frame bolts for any frame cracks or loose bolts.

If all this is negative, you'll need to follow the TM for checking the king pin bushings. I think it's in the -34. I'll check tomorrow.

Checking all this should take about 30 minutes and a few hand tools. It's a good idea to go through all this every year or so and catch issues before Murphey gets involved.

Good luck.

Lance

keawe_applewhite

That you so much for the know how. I plan on downloading all the tm's on this truck and try my best to memorize all I can. I will go through the frontend as soon as possible and get back with yeah soon. Once again thanks or helping out a newbie.

Crash_AF

You'll need the 9-2320-289 series of TMs. Download them all (-10, -20, -20P, -34, -34P and the LO)

You can find them all in the Resources tab at the top of the site.

Later,
Joe

ABN173

You'll need the 9-2320-289 series of TMs. Download them all (-10, -20, -20P, -34, -34P and the LO)

You can find them all in the Resources tab at the top of the site.

Later,
Joe
I'll go a step farther, once you open the resource/ TM link it's like the 8th or 9th page. Also if your interested in MV's look up SS member "Papabear" he is in the Columbus area and a super nice guy with a lot of great trucks. Oh don't go look at any of his Deuce gun trucks because you will leave there with a full blown case of OD Fever, which there is no known cure for! It can be treated though :-D

Dale

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks