• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help! My M1009 will only take 2 gallons of diesel.

eastTXhunter

I am having a problem with my M1009.

When I go to gas her up she only holds 2 gallons. Any idea what caused this?

I have searched the forum, but get 17 pages of non related results.

Thanks for your time.

Edit:

I had diesel shoot out my drivers side exhaust pipe. Was the first time starting it after a few cold days here. This normal or a problem?

Last edited:

eastTXhunter

LOL, that's what I thought too. But when I tap on the tank it feels empty and what I thought was a clogged sock is lack of fuel in the tank.

Another thing that confirmed it is that I put a tube into the tank to siphon the gas and it was nearly bone dry today.

CycleJay

Ok, that is weird.

What happens when you try to fill it up? overflow at/near the filler cap?
or when you try to fill it, it just keeps filling past 27 gallons? (if so, perhaps a major leak spilling out all the gas as you are filling it... )

Just my $0.02 cents...

eastTXhunter

Through searching on the internet it appears other gas tanks have a valve or something at the top that allows air to escape. I don't know if these have those, but the symptoms sound the same as the handful of others I have found. They claim the valve stops working and won't let air out so filling it becomes hard to do.

eastTXhunter

Yes, it over flows. If I go real slow I can get alot more in it. Its like something is blocking it.

Ok, that is weird.

What happens when you try to fill it up? overflow at/near the filler cap?
or when you try to fill it, it just keeps filling past 27 gallons? (if so, perhaps a major leak spilling out all the gas as you are filling it... )

Just my $0.02 cents...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First thing is that the CUCVs don't use gas. It is a fuel tank... You need diesel, not gas.:p

No flaps in the stock tanks. Just an oversized filler neck.

Sounds like someone stuffed something down the fill tube. Only way to find out for sure is to drop the tank. I've seen some strange things in fuel tanks.

If you have access to a bore scope you could have a look see.

Last edited:

ryan77

Look down the filler neck with a flash light or get one of those ridgid or milwauke cameras from home depot. Best bet is to drop tank and clean it. Ruybber hosses should be changed anyways!!

eastTXhunter

Can you shove something bigger than a tube down into the tank. Sounds like an obstruction of some sort.
Its real tough to get a tube in there. Yall are probably right, and obstruction of some kind.

I guess I will have to pull the tank.

Yes, the fuel cap was on it when I got it.

This probably solves my fuel gauge too. Its alway pretty dang low and the whole time I just assumed the tank was full.

MarcusOReallyus

Yes, it over flows. If I go real slow I can get alot more in it. Its like something is blocking it.

Yep. I have this problem with my civvyChevy, only mine is built in. It's got a service body on it, so the fuel filler neck is not stock. It takes a sharper turn than stock. Makes it a real pain to fill. I have to go veeeeerrrry slowly, or it shuts off.

I agree with the suggestions to drop the tank and check for obstructions.

Oh, one more thing: don't put gas in it. neener_neener.gif

:mrgreen:

eastTXhunter

OMG!

Now I am further at a loss. I just started it and good amount of diesel shot out of my drivers side exhaust pipe. Whats that mean?

Edit:

It was first start after sitting in cold for 2-3 days. Ran fine though.

Last edited:

scottladdy

Sounds like one of two things may be at issue, especially since you can get more in if you go slowly.

1) It might be that your vent tube may be plugged up. There is a vent tube that runs alongside the larger fill tube towards the rear of the truck. If you look carefully inside the filler neck you will see the upper opening to it.

2) There may be a blockage in your fill tube. In either case, it would be advisable to disconnect the filler tube and check.

Please keep us posted on what you find.

scottladdy

OMG!

Now I am further at a loss. I just started it and good amount of diesel shot out of my drivers side exhaust pipe. Whats that mean?

Edit:

It was first start after sitting in cold for 2-3 days. Ran fine though.
Are you sure it was diesel and not condensation? How did you determine it was diesel out of your exhaust?

eastTXhunter

It smelt like diesel, maybe it was just condensation, But it was a fairly large amount.

We just had a snow a couple days ago and its been in the 20's since then.