• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help on a postal!!!

ssgtwright-usmc

I found a 1983 postal truck for sell for $1500 and I got it for $700.
I need to know who made it and what engine they have.
The only thing I can find for postal trucks are (JEEPS) made.
Who made the truck I bought and what size engine does it have.
I know its a inline 6 engine.
Bought the truck so maybe I can sell tourists items out of it here in Hawaii.
The vehicle I have is bigger then a jeep in which you can walk into but smaller then a Van delivery truck.
I still have my M1008 but I need to know about this postal truck I now for $700 which runs great.
Please, any info you have I would like!!!

thefallguy

Without seeing a pic, it is difficult to say, I know the AM General FJ8 replaced the old DJ postal jeeps in the early eighties. They had the venerable 258 inline six. They also had dana 44 rear axles. Drivetrain parts should be easy to find. Newer ones are built off of ford rangers. Hope this helps!

K9Vic

I thought that one could not buy any of the newer postal delivery vehicles used. Only ones I have ever seen selling used are the old Jeeps.

Snarky

2.2 Liter S-10 pickup like the others said. It's called an LLV (Long life Vehicle) they are garbage. We work at them at our shop. Some of them differ from the usual S-10 by having a weird geared starter. Other than that, what ever year it is, thats what S-10 parts it uses.

The only place I've found to reliably get the LLV geared starter from is the U.S. post office, their vehicle depots kept them in stock, NAPA and o'rielly's didn't carry them as far as I remember.

Other things LLVs usually have are: goodyear wrangler tires, if it doesn't say good year (or anything else on it) then it is probably a goodyear wrangler that was recapped, they looove recaps. Also they like to put optima red top batteries in them. In my experience the red top is pretty much rubbish, nothing like the optima yellow top deepcycles, we just replaced them with sure start premiums when they went out.

If you have a LLV that wont turn over it's usually a battery or starter, if it runs rough: probably plugs, wires and/or coil. If it turns over and wont start, it's probably a fuel pump, the fuel pump is mounted in the tank under a metal plate in the cargo area. Simple vehicles.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks