• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help Removing Intake

Roadrunner 161

I just purchased a 1986 M1009 with 72,500 miles on it. Before I started out on the first journey, one of the air cleaner studs broke off and fell down on top of the valve train. Knock, Knock, Knock. I can't retrieve it with a magnet, so I decided to remove the intake. I have removed 8 studs/nuts from each side but I can't get the intake to break free. Any hints on how to do this without damaging something in the process?

Many thanks!

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. Try prying on the intake with a claw bar. It's a tough casting. Hope the "knock knock" you are hearing is not from ingestion of the stud!

rossM4

I know this sounds really dumb but double and triple check that all the bolts are out of the intake. I cant count the times I started to remove an intake and missed a bolt. Whoever was in the engine last might have put the intake on with silicone and did not use a gasket at all and if that is the case PB blaster is your new best friend.

Roadrunner 161

Well I got the intake off this AM. Looks like the stud was ingested. :-x I looked down in each cylinder and couldn't tell which side it went down.

Pull the exhaust manifolds and see if it "falls" out?
Pull the heads and hope the cylinder, piston and rings are OK?
Or, buy a donor M1009 and swap out the motor and have spare parts for the future?

This is a great site. Thanks for the advise.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think yes since he has a knock. Time to pull the heads. How long is...er...was the stud?

Roadrunner 161

It was running for about 15 seconds to warm up when the knock started. I shut it off and then noticed the air cleaner wing nut was off. That's when I realized the stud was MIA. Stud is 1/4" x 4".

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it got down past the valve and into the cylinder, it is now a curled up ball of FOD. Taking the exhaust off most likely won't allow you to get it out. You know which bank it went down just pull that head? Well, since you are more than 1/2 way there, just pull both heads and that way you will have new gaskets on both sides.

Post pics if you do it.

Roadrunner 161

OK seven stinking hours to get the intake, right valve cover, fuel lines and right head off. Unfortunately the air cleaner stud is not to be found in the right cylinder bank. I never thought I would miss the guys at the motor pool at Ft. Polk. :)

I am trying to locate the intake, valve cover and head gaskets but I am unable to find them all. Would someone please post the part numbers that NAPA, Auto Zone, etc. might be able to locate.

I have pics of the tear down I will post later. Thanks.

OL AG '89

motor is a 6.2L, "J" code, 83 - 85
Any good parts guys can take it from there
The CUCV WIKI may have the rest of the details, THe TM's will definitely have the info.
Use the -20P or -34P to find GM numbers and have parts guy do cross to Fel-Pro or whatever brand you prefer.
before you button it up, need to find the source of the knock, knock (no joke) and find the missing STUD....
Good Luck

AND that's one SWEET looking truck!!!

Last edited:

Roadrunner 161

Nick...I hope that's the worst of it. :)

MakersTeleMark, I will take some and try and post tomorrow.

I was trying to avoid removing the fuel pump but that ain't gonna happen. Even my eyelids are sore from folding my old body up under the hood and sitting on sharp metal objects straining my guts out turning rusty bolts. The good part is explaining and teaching three of my children "shade tree" mechanics.

nk14zp

Nick...I hope that's the worst of it. :)

MakersTeleMark, I will take some and try and post tomorrow.

I was trying to avoid removing the fuel pump but that ain't gonna happen. Even my eyelids are sore from folding my old body up under the hood and sitting on sharp metal objects straining my guts out turning rusty bolts. The good part is explaining and teaching three of my children "shade tree" mechanics.
The first thing I would have done is pull the hood off for more room.

Roadrunner 161

OK I finally had clear weather and time to remove the left head. Pics of the intake stud on the piston and results are below. For you more seasoned guys, do I replace the piston or just let it go and carbon can fill up the indentations? Or throw some bondo on it???:cookoo:

Pics are before and after cleaning off the piston and a pic of the intake stud.

Attachments

johnsr

OK I finally had clear weather and time to remove the left head. Pics of the intake stud on the piston and results are below. For you more seasoned guys, do I replace the piston or just let it go and carbon can fill up the indentations? Or throw some bondo on it???:cookoo:

Pics are before and after cleaning off the piston and a pic of the intake stud.

i would check all the cylenders for wear. if they are not bad just replace the one piston, rod, and rings.