• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help sizing up a potental purchase (M38)

IRQVET

So I've been on the hunt for a minute or so. My buddy sent this one to me today. I know it has after market suspension, wrong motor (F-Head) and its not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. But I'm looking for a running project that my family can restore and turn into a parade rig. I'm not looking for perfect, or 100% period correct, as I can change that stuff over time.

With that in mind, give me your thoughts. Seller is asking $4,800. In my mind, it seems like a $3,500 project car but I could be way off on my evaluation. (I know its tough to make a decision with only two photos)

Thanks in advance. I appreciate all the experience and knowledge on this forum.

Attachments

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm concerned the frame isn't an M38 frame, that it's just an CJ. Thus everything you do will be jerry rigged. I'm taking this from the front horns that don't look to 'dip' as deep or have bolt holes in the right spot, like m M38.

Obvious other issues: Front bumper, hood, (engine) gas tank, lighting system, wiper system, paint, whatever those two toggle switches are...

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree with bikeman. If you’re looking for a M38 I‘d either spend more to get closer to right, or hold out for something that has more M38 left in it. Unless you get this one for super cheap, I would pass. $4800 is high for a M38 that doesnt have much M38 left.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M38's are kind of spendy. I'd call John at Midwest Military and see what he has in stock. (he usually has a couple)

fasttruck

Someone did you a favor by buying this beast out from under you. It is difficult to find something as old as a M38 that isn't either rusted out, abused to death, or hacked and modded to death by POs. Gee, I wonder what this wire does ? And so on.

Fifty

That was a POS! There are real M38s to be found. John is a good place to start. I do know of a very nice M38 for sale. Send me a pm and I can give you contact information.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks