• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help to find a Deuce

Rubicon51

Hey ss world,
I've been looking for info on a duece when I found this site, which is great by the way. I'm getting ready to buy a duece, but I had a few q's. Ok here go's,

What should I be looking for as far as year, engine type, and turbo or non turbo. I would like to find one in the 72 year range. I've found several on the gl site, with many different engines. I like the turbo, but i'm looking for reliability, and longevity. Does the turbo really make that much of a difference in these big trucks? How about parts for these rigs, are they available? Brakes etc.... Where to buy, I live down in the heart of dixie, AL. I've found several of them on the GL site, but should I buy from them, or stay away and try to find one from a private seller? I am going to bob this rig and using for just about everything, towing, trail riding, and just hauling stuff. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

What year should I look for?
Turbo or non?
What engine should I try to find?
Parts?
Where to buy?

The newbie in Bama
Roll Tide!!!!!

littlebob

Welcome to the Site. It is a great source of knowledge and you will find everything you need to know. I haven't bobbed a deuce or bought from GL, so I cant help you with that personally. I have seen many previous posts that cover those if can use try the search feature they will probably come up. Good luck with your purchase.

littlebob

TaylorTradingCo

Roll Tide Too!

I can help you out with your questions.

I have bought from GL in Gadsden, Cullman and a lot from Redstone up in Hunstville. I was in Redstone this week and the guys there told me to be careful about the trucks because a lot of them were coming up out of Florida and they were in bad shape.

The main thing is to look at the auction and see if it says "running" or not. That is a good sign. If not, you probably need to go and view it before bidding. Many times it could be just dead batteries, but I have gotten several surprises out of there. I got one that had holes in the engine block big enough to put both fists through and another with a burnt wiring harness. We just got it fixed yesterday. Several others were missing parts such as fuel pumps, starters, air compressors, and alternators. One of them looked like it had a brand new motor in it and I bid high on it, but when I got it in it knocks like crazy and I will have to replace the very thing I bought it for.

If you are planning on buying several and don't mind working on them and combining parts then it is no big deal. If you are only wanting to buy one and need it to work, then be cautious and do your due diligence.

Also, if it is your first time buying from GL it will take a long time and a lot of hassle to get your paperwork done, around six weeks. After you get used to the paperwork and the hoops you have to jump through and the time deadlines you can get it down to about 1 1/2-2 weeks if you're lucky.

I live in GA about 10 minutes south of Chattanooga. I have 10 trucks on hand at the moment and hope to be picking up 5 more out of Hattiesburg, MS soon. I will be coming right through Birmingham on the way back with them.

All of mine are for sale and I will make a good deal for a fellow BamaFan. If you want a good truck you can come up here (only 2 hours) and pick through what I have and find the one you like and drive it home same day.

As far as spare parts go I wouldn't worry about that at all. Have you done a search for M35 online. There are hundreds of auctions on the big auction site now for every concievable part on a Deuce. I also have several trucks I am parting out and can supply them as well.

Things I look for when buying a truck are the Turbo (I really like the older ones Whistler sound), cab heater, spring seat, hard top, air shift front end, and of course a winch if you can afford one. Also making sure everything is there and the paint condition.

The rear axles on the Deuce are interconnected. You will have to get some front springs off another truck in order to make it work and lose the whole assembly for the rear end. I have a froint end and lots of trailer beds to make your bobbed truck with too.

The only drawback to bobbing a Deuce is that it is hard to find the 6 lug SuperSingle wheels. Some have had them custom made, me I'm into cheap. I want one too, but I will keep waiting until the cards fall into place for me.

Derek Taylor

Rubicon51

Thanks guys for the help.
little bob i've been searching the posts and found several topics on turbo or not, and which one is the whistler.

Derek, you' ve got my interest. Do you have a truck as you describe now? I would like one with a whinch, and a "c" turbo. What kind of price am I looking at with a whinch and w/o?
I assume a spring seat is just that, a softer ride. What I am planning to do is build a new seat frame and try to fit air ride seats in it, ever tried this? Also if I bought a running truck from a GL will they let you drive it off, or does it have been loaded out? The other thing is, buying from a GL and trying to find one with the options I want seems like a pita because the description on the GL sites are very brief. I guess you just have to know what your looking for and what your looking at, and then take a trip. Once again guys Thanks

TaylorTradingCo

Yes, GL will let you drive them off. I will be picking up one in Hunstville on Monday and we plan to drive it home and tow a trailer behind it too. We checked it out while we were there last week and made sure it cranked and that the brakes and lights and stuff worked.

The GL descriptions can leave a little to be desired. You have to become an expert on them and then go through the pictures in detail and even then you can still get surprised. It is best if you can go and view them in person.

I have just about all of the options available here. Send me an e-mail at derek@taylortradingco.com and I will give you a list of what I have on hand and the options they have and the pricing. I can take pictures of them too of course, I can even do a video of it so you can hear it crank and run. I only have one winch in stock at the moment, and the truck it is on doesn't yet run. I could pull it off and remount it on another truck if you desired. The factory winch option is $1000 extra.

Derek Taylor