• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help trouble shooting a mep002

TroyHog

Need some advice please! Got my gen set home and oiled and fueled it. It cranked up and ran great for about 20 second, then slowly lost rpm and just chugged and then died. There was air at the fuel filter drains of the last two filters, and a pretty good oil leak coming faround the bolt head of the oil filter. I opened the petcocks on filters and got fuel to them. Tried restart but it would just chug a little bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I apologize in advance for being ignorant.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should not be any air coming from the drains on the bottom... how much fuel is in it? Is this generator new to you? Have you ever replaced the filters?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you read the operators manual for it? You have to hold it in the start position until the engine comes fully up to speed. That could be acting like it sputters out too. Do you hear the fuel pumps working? I know they have small screens in them that can be cleaned too.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it ran for 20 seconds, id chase after the fuel filters or fuel pumps. Also inside the fuel cap there is a valve that allows you to vent the cap. The vent needs to be open for it to run.

dmistretta

I would check all fuel lines, fittings and filters to make sure they're not drawing air. Remove and reseat them all to make sure they are seated correctly and tightly. Do the same for the oil filter. Check fluid levels and then put in run/prime until the clicks slow down. Check if fuel is returning to tank. Do preheat, try to start again. You may need to go thru priming cycle many times to make sure no air is in there. Ideally, you should go ahead and change all filters and look at the fuel pump screens too. When starting, hold the start for 10 sec and move back if not running. Try again. I had to go thru 4 or so cycles. Once it is running, hold start until oil pressure comes up then release. Make sure you get it to 60 hz 1800 rpm soon after starting or you'll make good parts go bad parts ... Good luck

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do yourself a favor by replacing the oil, oil filter and the fuel filters first. Clean the screens on the fuel pumps. Then try to start the generator. Taking short cuts on preliminary maintenance of a newly acquired gen set is asking for trouble. Just ask sewerzuk about that loose nut or bolt that got ingested by one of his new acquisitions. Once you've cleaned and changed these items, prime the fuel system and check for proper return. Then, and only then, try to start.

John

derf

Do as others say and get the TMs. You know it runs now so invest in new filters. Run the electric pumps until they load up the system (change in sound observed).
Once air is introduced into the IP (Injector Pump) or lines you will probably need to bleed the lines. To bleed you crack the tubing connector nuts at the injectors open about 3/4 turn and turn the motor over with the starter until fuel starts to seep out around the loose nuts. Tighten the nuts back down and it will probably start.
Again, read the TMs. When it does start you should hold the switch in the start position for another 5 seconds or so.

derf

General info here:

MEP 002A and 003A - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

Napa.

Generally the gen sets are DRMO'd for a reason. It can be simple or complicated but there is usually an issue with the gen set. After it is determined to DRMO the gen it will usually sit for a while with no fluids, many times in the weather, before the auction. Your set's issue may have been the small oil leak.

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
start it with the throttle out about 3 turns. after it starts and has oil pressure hz meter and volt meter should jump. set throttle up until hz meter reads 60 to 62 hz. that is about 1800 rpm

rickf

Who said this site only responds with "read the TM". Got to nurture the young.
Jerry:beer::beer:
Too bad other parts of this site don't follow that creed! BUT!! Definitely get hold of the operators manual, this is not your typical Home Depot special. If you do something wrong with theirs it stalls, if you do something wrong with this one the magic smoke comes out. If the magic smoke comes out then Mr. Electricity does not.:sad:

Rick

storeman

Too bad other parts of this site don't follow that creed! BUT!! Definitely get hold of the operators manual, this is not your typical Home Depot special. If you do something wrong with theirs it stalls, if you do something wrong with this one the magic smoke comes out. If the magic smoke comes out then Mr. Electricity does not.:sad:

Rick

No truer words can be said. Get the TM's, available on this site, read them and learn. But ,don't dismiss the dumb ones who bought GL without foreknowledge (as I dis a couple of years ago). These information-deprived folks are our future because they cared enough to buy a unit. They have good survival intentions, hurricane or otherwise. Bravo!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks