• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help trouble shooting a mep002

TroyHog

I downloaded the TM and am reading it. I am waiting on filters. The oil filter gasket is not correct - I think someone mentioned that. There was oil leaking from the center bolt on oil filter housing - I took it apart and it seems they had two hard fiber gaskets instead of the rubber one. The oil filter housing on this unit seems to have been replaced with a bronze colored one. It appears to be a little smaller than the original green ones. The brass drain plug is chewed to bits, but doesn't impede just draining it by taking the whole canister off. It did have a military oil filter in it. I had to order fuel filters, the o-ring seemed a little big, but haven't got the other filters in so I haven't leak tested yet.

Q: Will I have to crack lines at injectors if there was air in system?

Q: I am a bit confused about regulation of rpm/hz when using this set. If I am welding cattle pens - what would proper procedure be?

Adjust when an arc is drawn? Could be a little tough as I am alone.

TroyHog

Also - do I need to pull low pressure pumps and check an inlet screen - they seemed to be moving fuel ok when I prematurely tried to start unit. Before I started filter changes.

rickf

If you crack the lines you will get fuel up there quicker. You should set your frequency at about 61-62 when you first start it up. after it warms up a bit see where you are. Before you start welding have it around 61. Most welders are not that frequency sensitive unless you are using one of the new inverter welders. Those I am not sure about but since they have a processor you will want it to be close. Remember that the frequency meters on these things are not very accurate. You can buy digital ones on E-bay fairly cheap.

Rick

TroyHog

update mep-002a

I changed the filters and oil - bled the system and she fired. The oil filter housing was a bronze unit from southern automotive wholesalers and I could not get it to seal, so I robbed the one off the 003 that I had sitting there. The throttle cable had been routed wrong and was binding on the injector cover door.

Appears to be running good. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Now - about the mep-003: I looked in the tank and it appears a tad rusty. Anyone have any experiences with that? I would say its sat empty for some time and condensation has done the damage. The screen in the tank insert also had some holes in it.

Try to clean it - or is that a lost cause?

NJ_Toolnut

Yeah, sewerzuk and me! My errant nut was loose under the gear cover on a freshly depot reset 003a:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/auxili...st-post-introduction-my-mep003-saga-date.html

For my situation, only removing the gear cover and carefully checking (a lot of wrenching as well as gasket replacement) could have successfully prevented the self-destruction that subsequently occurred. His situation however, could have easily been prevented by following the preliminary checking procedures.

Stan

Do yourself a favor by replacing the oil, oil filter and the fuel filters first. Clean the screens on the fuel pumps. Then try to start the generator. Taking short cuts on preliminary maintenance of a newly acquired gen set is asking for trouble. Just ask sewerzuk about that loose nut or bolt that got ingested by one of his new acquisitions. Once you've cleaned and changed these items, prime the fuel system and check for proper return. Then, and only then, try to start.

John

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I changed the filters and oil - bled the system and she fired. The oil filter housing was a bronze unit from southern automotive wholesalers and I could not get it to seal, so I robbed the one off the 003 that I had sitting there. The throttle cable had been routed wrong and was binding on the injector cover door.

Appears to be running good. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Now - about the mep-003: I looked in the tank and it appears a tad rusty. Anyone have any experiences with that? I would say its sat empty for some time and condensation has done the damage. The screen in the tank insert also had some holes in it.

Try to clean it - or is that a lost cause?

I recall there are a number of threads detailing the cleaning and/or repair of the fuel tank. I didn't have problems with my depot rebuilt 002A, including having a spotless fuel tank, but others have detailed their issues and resolutions. Search for some posts from last year by Keith J. Sorry I'm not more helpful on this issue. I just didn't pay a lot of attention to the posts on the subject because it didn't pertain to me. I believe some cleaning was done to the tank and some type of rust sealer applied. Some remaining pinholes were soldered. Other folks may have other tricks.

John

storeman

On fuel tanks, I have 002a tanks (makes no difference if you are using a remote fill tank, otherwise, just less capacity.

If all you see is surface rust inside, don't worry about it. Just rinse inside with hot soapy water and rinse and drain. If sludge, etc, I put 5 lbs bolts and nuts in with soapy water and shake the devil out of it and continue until crud is gone, rinse well and dry in the sun.
Jerry :grd:

rickf

If you have a nasty tar like gunk in the tank I have found that Xylen works very well at disolving it. Do not use fresh diesel fuel on it because it will get even worse! Ask me how I know. I am still trying to get the stuff off of my hands a year later!

NJ_Toolnut

Xylene is a powerful solvent for many organic substances. It will readily dissolve most paint, synthetic plastics and elastomers. If you use it, avoid getting it on these materials.

rickf

Xylene is a powerful solvent for many organic substances. It will readily dissolve most paint, synthetic plastics and elastomers. If you use it, avoid getting it on these materials.
You forgot to mention skin, Wear gloves. It will dry out your skin very fast and I am sure it is putting bad things into your body in the process.

Rick

NJ_Toolnut

Thanks Rick, excellent point! It may not attack gloves made of neoprene or nitrile. Xylene is not a known carcinogen like benzene, but it is very easily absorbed through skin. Chronic systemic exposure to high levels causes liver damage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks