• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help troubleshooting an issue with my WTECII

spankybear

So I got the truck up and running after worked through a starting issue. I can select Drive, Revere , and the truck will move. I can select first (1) when the truck is sitting you can feel the trans shift from 2 to 1. I can also select mode.

The problem is when I start out and speeding up to the point where I think it should shift the "select" side numbers goes dark but the "monitor" side stays on 2. At this point the touch pad is not responsive. The truck is still driveable but stuck in 2nd gear. I was thinking that maybe the TCM isn't getting a speed sensor input but my speedo seem to work fine and smooth (well to 10 MPHish)

Anybody have any ideas? I have had this dash apart doing body work and kept the TCM in the garage.

spankybear

Just to check since recently In your other thread you mentioned it had been a while since it ran. Batteries topped off and alternator charging?
Yes sir the batteries are all charged up and the charging system was working. The starting problem I was having was relay K2 being intermittently bad.

I am sure there's a connection issue somewhere. The cab was open to the elements (under a tarp) for some time with all of the wiring.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read this thread.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The trans uses a speed sensor on the side of the bellhousing by the scav pump for input speed. There is a key shaped sensor in the transfer case for output and a throttle position sensor on the motor. If you have ruled everything else out I would take out the trans control they come out a sone piece. Then separate the keypad from the tcm and see if moisture got in there. If so let it dry and see what happen.

spankybear

First off a big thanks for the WTEC II manual! and the info!! I had no idea how to pull codes out of the TCM.

Code is the infamous 25 11 rabbit hole. So before I go to deep I checked the oil. There are 3 marks on the stick. Cold full, Hot add and Hot Full. IT is at the Hot add mark. I only ran the engine for a couple of mins and the oil was not hot. How much dose the oil expand? Or maybe how accurate it the marks?

I only tested the batteries with a volt meter and they read between 12.7 to 12.8 volts with the truck off. This should be full charged and the truck starts fine. I know the 2 12 volt side batteries are fully charged as I had them out of the truck and on the charger. Maybe I should get the other 2.

I am still not going to rule out a bad connection as like I sad I had the cab open for awhile with no windshield and rust repair. Even with a trap things get damp up here in the northwest. The TCM was NOT in the truck but in my garage during this time. It was not subjected to a damp place.

For oil what are you people running? Rotella or Delo?

spankybear

I am going to start simple... First I will take out each battery and charge them up one at a time. It will be a couple of days as I only have one smart charger. I'll report back when I am 100% sure all battries are at 100%. Could it be this simple?

spankybear

Batteries charged up and no joy... I added some oil to bring the level up a bit.... No joy... I know what I am doing next weekend. Going to check the connections. Don't think its the output speed sensor. The speedo works and if I am reading the prints right the speedo signal goes through the TCM.

Grrrrr

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks