• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help troubleshooting out vibrations

DrFoster

I've got a pickle of a problem.

From 35MPH to 43MPH I get a shudder in the entire driveline, and it carries all the way up to the transfer case shifting lever, ringing it like a frigging school bell at these speeds.

Now initially I thought it would be the tire balancing, but Jim and Randy say they put something in the tires to balance them before mounting them.

I've never heard of a balancing by inserting anything into the tires (except for aircraft tires where we filled it with sand one time to take out the wobble to get it back to a repair facility at another airport.) So, maybe I'm about to learn something new here.

OK, so that could still be a factor in my opinion, but are there any other thoughts from anyone else?

Should I take the tires to a shop anyhow to have the balance checked out?

westfolk

None of my tires are balanced on ANY of my trucks. I have no problem. My 2 pennies are check to see if you lost weights from the driveshafts. That and make sure all is hooked up right and tight in the driveline. Check to see if you have play on shafts at the transfer case.

dmetalmiki

sounds like propshafts..friend of mine did not line up the knuckles on a refitt..tho the american ones..dont line up incorrectly?..with chassis jacks and or wheels removed and chassis chocked...bet that would disply the probem....OTHER SYMPTOM CAUSE..Winch in gear!...(adjustment out)..does that "noise"..would be interested to know actual cause when you track it down...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc, are you still running the 22" wheels Jim installed? You may have issues we are not familiar with.

Make sure the yokes are aligned correctly on all drive shafts as suggested by the gentleman from the UK.

Good to hear from you!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd also check the pinion bearings. Check them for radial movement. If you can move them they are shot. I've had to replace a lot of these it the fire trucks. Espacilly if you have a sprag t-case.

grey_ghost_03

Check your propeller shaft.. I had a vibration above 25 mph. Did not pay much attention to it until the shaft came loose and beet the crap out of the floor of the cab.. The bolts worked loose and broke off..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks