• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help UR with 6.5 engine swap

mapaliz

Hi,
I live in Ecuador, Southamerica and i'm a big fan of HMMWV. Finally, in an local army auction i've got a HMWWV. Right now i got the N242 transfer case and a 480le Transmission that ill control with a compushift. My problem is about the engine. I have a 6.5 TD engine with pick up configuration (Turbo is at the side) and need to know modifications to fit in the engine compartment of the hmmwv. Please tell me if you've heard about someone with this modification or if you have any advice.
Best Regards,
MP

Chief_919

You need the center mount turbo. That requires the intake maniford designed for it, and that requires the cylinder heads specific to that manifol.

So, from a center mount turbo setup, you need the Intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, turbo, and cylinder heads.

Center mount turbos were found in HMMWV's, vans, and soem specialty applications like RV's and step vans.

mapaliz

It is near to impossibble to get that stuff in this market. I think that ill have to cut the passenger compartment and probably a body lift will help to this conversion. Aditionally i think ill have to make some changes in the canister compartment. Any suggestion? Anybody had tried this before?

Chief_919

I don't think there is enough room for the side mount turbo and its manifolds even with cutting and a body lift. Best bet is to just use a NA intake for now until you can get the center mount stuff.

dilvoy

Maybe you can mount the turbo somewhere else. I have seen turbo chargers mounted near the rear bumpers on cars, so if you have some good fabricators down there, you can do something.

mapaliz

Yes, thats what im planning, to modify the trubo manifold in order to relocate it. Lets see how it works. Right now im remanufacturing the engine. Thank yo for the advice