• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help w/ Starting Problem: LMTV M1078

beltfed1934

All,

New to vehicle-just got it about 1-mo ago, runs pretty good but just today started developing this annoying issue: It starts no problem 1st push of button, but when I drive it for a few miles and get it warmed up, and stop somewhere and kill the engine, when I go to restart nothing happens, I push the red starter button but absolutely nothing. No clicking no trying to start just dead nothing. If I let it sit for 5min or so, it will start like nothing was wrong. Just started doing this wasnt doing it for the past 2 weeks I've owned it, any ideas or help appreciated??? 1995 LMTV M1078

TIA,
Austin

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check to see if the thermal switch is bypassed on the starter, if not, bypass it. Connect two small white wires together that lead to a device on the starter not related to the solenoid. Disconnect battery before doing this. If that does not help, wiggle the relays in the Power Distribution Panel (PDP) (fuse box in front of passenger).

beltfed1934

Check to see if the thermal switch is bypassed on the starter, if not, bypass it. Connect two small white wires together that lead to a device on the starter not related to the solenoid. Disconnect battery before doing this. If that does not help, wiggle the relays in the Power Distribution Panel (PDP) (fuse box in front of passenger).
Hate to sound like a rookie, but just cked it out, there is a plug composing 2 small white wires that plugs into the rear of the starter (into the plastic cap on the rear of the starter), im assuming that is what you are referring? if so, just cut the plug off and join the two wires with a twist nut or similar? am I on the right track

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that is the starter thermal switch that gave the Army fits very early in the FMTV life cycle. No promises, but that switch is as you say "likely inop". No promises, though. Next, if it were me, I would follow the "won't crank" troubleshooting tree in the TM.

beltfed1934

Dang, back to the drawing board, finally had a chance to go get pizza tonight in the LMTV after bypassing the starter thermal switch. Luckily, I was smart enough to leave it running, as when I got home and parked it and shut it down, walla-wont restart. Doesnt even try or turn over. Relay in dash clicks when I turn ignition on-off. Waited til after dinner and went out and she started up like nothing was wrong. Relay made same clicking before and after no-start issue. Where else to look? Anybody?
Austin

scottmandu

Dang, back to the drawing board, finally had a chance to go get pizza tonight in the LMTV after bypassing the starter thermal switch. Luckily, I was smart enough to leave it running, as when I got home and parked it and shut it down, walla-wont restart. Doesnt even try or turn over. Relay in dash clicks when I turn ignition on-off. Waited til after dinner and went out and she started up like nothing was wrong. Relay made same clicking before and after no-start issue. Where else to look? Anybody?
Austin
Try jumping the transmission neutral safety relay. If that works, then the WTEC unit isn't sending a neutral signal to that relay or the wiring in between or the relay itself is forked.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Relay clicking in dash with power switch turns on trans control and dash power. There is a relay on the drivers passenger rail across from the starter. You can jump the 2 big contacts with a screwdriver to start the truck with the dash switch on. Once you know where it is you don't have to fold the cab to do it.

beltfed1934

I hard-wired some jumper wires to the big contacts on the relay on the driver passenger rail near the starter, got it warmed up where it wont start conventionally, then I jumped those 2 wires and she fired right up. So, what does that tell me?
TIA,
Austin

Relay clicking in dash with power switch turns on trans control and dash power. There is a relay on the drivers passenger rail across from the starter. You can jump the 2 big contacts with a screwdriver to start the truck with the dash switch on. Once you know where it is you don't have to fold the cab to do it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks