• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with a Deutz diesel

acesneights1

Does anyone have any experience with deutz diesels ? I have a 3 cyl air cooler one in my New Holland and it's losing power under load. I found the fuel supply line leaking at the LiftPump but that did not solve the problem so I would like to test the output pressure on the LP (it is mech) but I don't know the spec. It looks to be a Bosch 3 cyl IDI injection pump so I would think somewhere around 4-8 psi ?? Also if the Lift Pump is bad any reason I couldn't use an electric one ? I can only imagine what the mech one from Deutz costs.
I gotta get this thing fixed asap.

acesneights1

Not yet, I had to order it. It will be in tomorrow but i see wetness around the lift pump so I suspect failure.

garp

If the lift pump has a round stamped steel cover held down with a 1/4 inch screw, remove it. Some have a flat brass screen underneath which are usually neglected. Just a thought.

acesneights1

I shot an email to Long Island Deutz. They are the closest dealer. I will check for the screen as well. I may need to get a metric adapter for my hand priming pump as the fuel filter for whatever dumb reason is mounted upside down so there is no way to pre fill it.

acesneights1

It would not surprise me if the factory LP was 500$. Anything for this engine is insane. One cyl head was 1200$. Good strong engine but when it breaks, it breaks expensive.

hemichallenger

Auto machine in Orlando has and can get parts for Duetz A lot cheeper than anywhere I have found. Is it possable your pump is leaking because the filter is plugged?

acesneights1

If the lift pump has a round stamped steel cover held down with a 1/4 inch screw, remove it. Some have a flat brass screen underneath which are usually neglected. Just a thought.
It does have that cover. I am going to remove it as well as the spin on. Long Island Deutz said 10 psi but I think that is excessive. He sounded unsure. He said the Lift pump should have a primer handle but I could not find one.

acesneights1

YOU ARE THE MAN !!!:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
It was actually plastic but probably a replacement from original but it was clogged solid. BTW for informational purposes the Lift Pump puts out up to 30 psi and from what I was told the Bosch inline IP used on this motor has no internal transfer pump so it relies solely on the fuel pressure from the external one.

garp

The reason manufactures mount filters upside down is so people dont pre-fill and contaminate the system. Install dry and pump it full, I will agree sometimes it sucks. But your fuel system will live longer.

That little screen has caused a fair amount of grief for a number of people. Glad you found it.

Last edited:

acesneights1

Since the tank is higher than the ff I put a small amount of air Pressure in the tank and loosened the banjo nut on the ip and forced the fuel into the filter. It worked perfectly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks