• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with a strange M211

Hello there, I bought a few years back a XM211 military truck with a very strange attachment. A military excavator. The truck is a 1954 XM211 as identified by its data plate. The excavator also has a military data plate XEX450 High Ho Backhoe.

I thought at first it was a old civilian conversion, but the digger has all sorts of military markings left and a rifle mount in the operators cab.

Does any one have a manual for this beast as the standard M211 manual does not even say it exists.

Thanks Chris,

Attachments

gunboy1656

That is pretty cool looking, in every manual I have seen on the G749 series, I have never came across that version.

Just cause the excavator has military markings, does not mean it still can't be a hybrid. Military excavator mounted on the 211 chassis.

Oldfart

Me too when it comes to CooL. I could us that here on the farm! Looks like something a guy could collect and work at the same time. Neat truck!!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That is a handy looking truck ....I don`t know if it`s miliary or not but they did make excavators on deuce frames ......... Tim
Dont think it is a deuce frame, looks like a early crane carrier co, or FWD

Ghost115

Don't know it to be a fact Ghost115 but that truck front looks an awful lot like a GMC
Dang that is a cool looking useful working truck!
Well I talked to the town highway that owned it and they told me they got a whole fleet of amry trucks and they had two ditch diggers. Mine is a 1954 GMC m211 with a 1960? Hy hoe 380. Both run and work well. Just neat to see another one pretty much the exact same thing as mine

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well I talked to the town highway that owned it and they told me they got a whole fleet of amry trucks and they had two ditch diggers. Mine is a 1954 GMC m211 with a 1960? Hy hoe 380. Both run and work well. Just neat to see another one pretty much the exact same thing as mine
Nice! Happy to hear that I was close to the right truck :cool:

nattieleather

Looks to me that someone (some people) took the military m211 and a military excavator and married them together. Now the bigger mystery is did the military do it or was it done in civilian life? If done in the military it was done in a unit and the unit figured it would be better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. lol.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the exact same thing but mine was had the Hy hoe put on by a town highway
Nice , yours is the 2nd highway dept Hy-Hoe conversion I have seen in 60 years, never came across one that was mil-tagged .. Nice 730(?) as well .. A neighbor bought a new 830 which we borrowed in '69 to plow a hardpan clay piece , was impressive and it gave the other neighbor's 4010 quite a show. .The fields were adjacent and about the same size and soil thus the race was on

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks