• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with clutch adjustment

JJensen

I have googled, searched, read through the TM's but I'm still stumped on how to properly adjust my clutch.

I just installed a new engine in my truck, and used the clutch that was with the engine. It is a 4 finger, just like my old one. When we I went to hook up the clutch rod, it wouldn't even come close. So I adjusted the clevis, and it still wouldn't. I stopped and read on here that the "remote control lever" (the arm that moves the throw out bearing) is supposed to be 3.25" from the centerline of the bolt hole, to the trans bell housing. It wasn't. It was over 4.5" with the new engine/clutch (not sure where it was with the old one, but the clutch worked fine).

I repositioned the arm on the splined shaft so that it was approximately 3.25". Hooked everything up, and with the clutch pedal pushed down (clutch disengaged), trans in gear, you can not turn the output shaft of the trans (T-case in neutral).

I stopped, and I read on here more, and read about adjusting the finger position on the pressure plate. I did that, thinking that it would give us more range of motion and release the clutch. It doesn't.

I decided to quit for the night. Came home and searched the TM's. Now I have found that the clutch pedal is adjustable to give you more or less travel.

SO... I have changed the finger adjustment on the PP, moved the remote control lever.

I need to get everything back to where it should be.

My questions are:
How should I go about resetting the finger height? ( I have an idea that I'll post below).

When measuring for the 3.25" distance, is it from the machined face of the bellhousing where it bolts up the the adapter plate? Or is it from the flat edge of the bell closest to the arm? Basically the where the bolt head would seat against on the trans bell.

When setting the 1.5" of free play in the clutch pedal, is that the distance the pedal moves before the throw out bearing touches the fingers, or just the distance it moves before you can start feeling the pressure of the clutch. Because, the first part of the pressure plate releasing is light and could be mistaken for free play.

Before I messed with the pressure plate adjustment I could move the remote control lever quite a bit before the TOB would touch the fingers. Now I have just a little slack. My thought to return this to a normal setting is to adjust it so that I am able to have 2" travel on the clutch pedal, and then adjust the travel to 1.5" with the clevis.

Looking at TM 9-2320-361-20, page 321, it shows the pedal height being adjustable. By moving the pedal up, it would increase the total travel.

I'm sorry that this is so long. Hopefully it makes sense. I appreciate any input you guys have.

On a side note, my replacement engine has checked out great so far. After installing it and having it ready to fire, it started withing 1 second of cranking, has almost 30#'s of oil pressure at 800 RPM, and the whistler turbo screams with the engine RPM at only 1500. After running the engine for 20+ minutes at 1500 RPM, I had zero leaks, and the oil is still nice and new looking.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

When setting the 1.5" of free play in the clutch pedal, is that the distance the pedal moves before the throw out bearing touches the fingers, or just the distance it moves before you can start feeling the pressure of the clutch. Because, the first part of the pressure plate releasing is light and could be mistaken for free play.
Free play is adusted from just touching the fingers.

JDToumanian

The pressure plate finger adjustment isn't supposed to be tinkered with in the truck, it is supposed to be done on a surface plate with feeler gauges. I don't see how this can be done to the degree of accuracy required, in the truck. If I made this mistake, I would pull the trans and clutch and reset the pressure plate to the correct clearance.

Jon

JJensen

Jon, I agree with you. We should have adjusted the fingers, but we both thought it was a good idea at the time. I'll probably just pull the trans and put the other clutch in.

JJensen

jwright came out for tonight and we got the truck driving again. Thanks to him, the truck should be completely finished this week. Thanks Jared!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks