• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with F-1 Wiring Diagram

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before the dash comes apart, see if you can get a ohms reading from the Yellow wire at the ignition switch and the purple/white wire at the starter relay. You can also check the ohms between the WaterInFuel diode and the starter relay.

This is puzzling.

Barrman

No, it is not that big of a puzzle. We both know the short is between the steering wheel and the seat.

Sorry Taylor. I have been trying to work that line into a post for years and this thread just called out for it.

OL AG '89

Before the dash comes apart, see if you can get a ohms reading from the Yellow wire at the ignition switch and the purple/white wire at the starter relay. You can also check the ohms between the WaterInFuel diode and the starter relay.

This is puzzling.
I get no reading (open) between yellow and ppl/wht wire

haven't checked the diode yet...

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are getting an open between the point where the yellow wire attaches to the starter switch
and the ppl/white wire where it attaches to the starter coil, You can unplug the starter relay to make that measurement, then ,
after pluging the relay back in, temporarily splice a wire onto the ppl/wire that feeds the starter coil and run the other end to the contact on the starter switch where the yellow wire is connected
after disconnecting the yellow wire from the starter sw.
My guess is that it will start. You may not have power to the glow plug module, but it should
activate the starter.
Don't leave it like that though.

Essentialy what you are doing is eliminating the suspect wiring
before tearing everything apart.

Bruce

Last edited:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am making the assumption that you hav tested the starting relay
coil and contacts.

The above does not completely eliminate the suspect wiring but I didn't want
you to have to cut the ppl/wht wire, just splice onto it. In the unlikely event
there is a possibility that the circuit has a ground that is keeping things from working.
But I doubt this is the case.
Bruce

OL AG '89

And now the final chapter.....
I forgot to mention the alarm installed on the truck.....
I had disconnected the alarm and thought I had bypassed all of it's "features", apparently NOT!!!

I checked the diode, it acted correctly. I got 60+ ohms or so and confirmed that the wire was still good between diode and relay.

I then decided it was time to eliminate the alarm altogether so I found where the "kill switch"was tapped into the yellow wire. I checked continuity and got good results from switch to tap and relay to tap.

Apparently the relay that controls the "kill switch" is a FAIL OPEN configuration. I then bypassed that relay and the thing cranks..... I think I have found the problem. I take the car to the alarm installer and question them about the relay. They take a look and are confused about the wiring at the relay. The installer then assumed the dying roach position and began tracing wires, the same thing I had done for the past several weeks. He stops about 1/2 way in and crawls back out of the truck, cranks the ignition and she STARTS!!!!!
He then asked me if I remembered about the "SECRET SWITCH" we had installed.

*@&&$^$*%^%^%(#*&$%#@*$&^%#%#^#%#^@%#%@^#&

NOPE!!!!! Apparently between me getting out of truck at last location, when trouble started, and jumping back in, the switch moved.... KILLING the ignition system as it was designed to do!!!!!

UNFREAKING BELIEVABLE!!!! I just spent DAYS going through wire by wire by the book, with the help of Y'all.

SO BOTTOM LINE, IT"S **** TO GET OLD.....
and TIM you were right!!!!

Here are pics, cause everybody love pics!!!!
1. fuse block - checking voltage at ignition fuse, 24 voltts!!!
2. diode on pc, note schematics under pc....
3. diode
4. steering wheel dropped, ignition switch removed, wires ready for further inspection.
5. suspicious wires under dash connected to starter relay, ignition switch and alarm relay
6. Alarm relay bypassed to allow start.... before I discovered the real "ISSUE"
7. PROUD FATHER !!!!! Friday May 13th graduation at SHSU..... My daughter the Graduate!!!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that is a relief, I was beginning to doubt myself.
That is terrific that you got it figured out. It is nothing
to do with old age. It is our duty as adults to keep the younger
whipper snappers guessing.
Bruce

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What??? No picture of the secret switch??....What a Goober!!!

rofl

Glad you figured it out. As I was about to do surgury on the parts truck to post some pictures of the Yellow and Purple/White wire connections.

OL AG '89

Joe,
If I showed you the secret switch I'd have to buy another 09 and then I'd be signing divorce papers.....
It does have a big red sign on it stating "DO NOT PUSH or PULL" ....

Tim,
This was truely an exercise in futility, like a 10 mile forced march in a circle, glad it's over but pissed off I'm back where I started. I could of spent the last couple weekend working on the other one, instead of this one!!!:jumpin:
I'm still yet to perform the initial "inspection" and PMCS of #2.... Maybe this weekend....

speakin of.... the tires on your 09, mounted on the stock rims, are they 33x12.5x15's or ????

Attachments

OL AG '89

Joe, Tim, Bruce,

Thanks for all the HELP!!!
Now that I have my headspace and timing corrected, I will work on other items found NMC as I attempted to fix this "issue".
I have also buried the location of the secret switch in my backyard under the dogs food bowl, in case anyone's interested.....
Going to spend the weekend cleaning up some stock rims for tires next week. and then there is the continued discussion of a covert radio install, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks again!!!