• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with fuel system

tcg528

Sorry for the wait guys, got home and passed out. Woke up sick as a dog the next day. Here's the pics I had stored on my phone

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, What I see there is an absolute mess.

Typically, to convert to 12v, you use the drivers side alternator and wiring.

You need to either deciipher what you have there and re wire the truck the way you want it or go back to original. (the original owners wiring is a disaster)!

Last edited:

tcg528

Yeah, I'm still trying to decide which would be best. I want the truck for useability, and the inability to get a jumpstart with a 24v system is a huge deterrent. At the moment, I'll probably keep it as it is, since it can run with that. First two things on the agenda is get the fuel system up and running, then replacing at least one of the floor boards, as the passenger seat is actually falling through it.

tcg528

Well, on the Fuel issue, I've had it at a shop for the last 2 weeks. Got word back that they suspect its a bad injection pump, but they're going to run a few more tests with an electric pump to see if they can get it running. I'll know by Friday.

Anyone know about 6.2 L GM Diesel Fuel Injectors Fuel Pumps Accessories ?
~$400 with no immediate core charge is better than some places that I've found, anyone have any dealings with them?

tcg528

Got the Rustbucket back! Mechanic put in an electric fuel pump, but said that it had trouble starting. He put on another starter from another M1009, it still wouldn't start. I ordered a 12V starter for it, since the current one is a 24V that never was replaced.

tcg528

Okay, the electric fuel pump did nothing. I replaced the 24V starter for a 12V and after a bit of starting fluid, it started right up. I drove around my neighborhood for 10 minutes trying to get it to stop

mf5129

check the mechanical lift pump.then dicoonnect the electrical lead and crank.reconnect wire and loosen bleed screw in the filter housing to check. there is also a possibility of t he filter sock in tank plugged.the lift pump must work.you could diconeect lines from tank to pump and blow thru to make sure they are clear.dont overlook your glow plugs as well.take nothing for granted on this check every aspect.all glow plugs must work and no air in fuel system. i currently have 6 each 6.2 engines so i have anything here you might need.

Last edited:

mf5129

reinstall the orginial 24 volt electrical system and use a quick diconnect switch between the pos and neg cable. i installed a napa automatic on board charger on mine.just pull the lever and plug in.you could also use a wheelchair charger,there are ways to deal with this.you need to study the tm.ive used these for years.

tcg528

The truck runs, the mechanical lift pump and fuel system were never the issue it turns out. I never realized how fast a diesel needs to be cranked in order to start. The 24v started just couldn't spin fast enough to get it going with only 12v powering it. Found that nearly all but the alternator belt had been removed, and that wasn't getting motion from the pulley it was connected to. Right now it still needs jumped half the time to start, but if I had a 24v system, I wouldn't even be this far. Next part is to flush brake system since the fluid is a nasty shade of green and the brakes barely work, followed by an inspection to see how the pads, shoes, motors and drums are. Then comes a flush of the power steering, a check of the wiring just to make sure its relatively safe to run the alt with the one wire cut off, then attaching all the belts. Currently, I'm unemployed, so while I have a lot of time, money is now the issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks