• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help with High altitude

crike2000

I just bought an M37 with the original engine. It was in running conditon when I bought it. We drove it into the trailer in Reno. Then when I got it back to Colorado Springs it started and ran for 5 minutes then died. I pushed it into the garage cleaned off the spark plugs because they were fouled. But haven't been able to get it to start. With the choke pulled a 1/4in out I get some combustion.

Colorado Springs, Colorado :nono:

fredwc1

Hi, I am also in Reno (4300 ft) should be pretty close to the 'Springs in alt. I would 1) make sure the points haven't closed up and are lubed 2) check the plugs again after trying to restart w/o choke and see if wet or dry. The float and needle & seat on the carbs are a bit twitchy, esp after a bouncy trailer ride down those velvet smooth Nevada / Utah highways! Randy drove that critter often so it should be good to go mostly as is. My M37 is running stock jetting but I have found that if driving around town I need to pull the choke out about 1/4" to allow for smooth throttle for drive away then off for cruise. I have rebuilt my carb and put on a new top cover with the accel. pump vaciuum chamber in it. But even with that it is a bit lean on drive off hence the choke. Other people around the country have done the same thing as well.

crike2000

I'm at about 7000ft a little higher than Reno. What do you mean by lube the points? I put new points in it, turned the engine till the points were on a high point on the distributer cam and set it to .020". I then cleaned the plugs again. I tried starting with out the choke and the started pulling the choke out slowly while cranking it. at about a 1/4 of an inch out I would get a little combustion but not enough to turn over.

I know it will run. I'm probably going to have to get some of my car bubbies that are good with engines to help me. I figured the M37 would be easy to learn on, I have done just about everything else on a truck, but engines and want to learn them too.