• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help with Leak, Early Style 5 Ton Power Steering.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Guys,

I need help. My M52A2 is leaking power steering fluid from what looks like a vent or presure release on top of the power unit / steering gear. This vent has a little cap that is loose and seems to have a spring under it. It is the old style Ross power steering. It leaks when I turn the wheel, like a waterfall.

I've gone through all the TM's I can find and can't find anything with regard to this vent or on the unit itself. I have found hydraulic line diagrams and trouble shooting flowcharts but they are no help with this issue

Any help on how to fix it or what I may doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

m139h2otruck

From looking at the parts blowup in Memphis' book, I would guess that the unit has an internal leak between the hydraulic cylinder and the gear box. The gear box is filled with gear oil and the cylinder and control valve is pressurized by the steering pump.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the quick response. Is the little vent on stering gear side? If so, that makes sense. Is it a seal between the 2 that has cut loose? Well thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction. I'll call Memphis in the AM.

By the way, what memphis book are you refering to?

Thanks much,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks