• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with manifold valve on new to me M149a2

Hello everyone. Today I picked up my new to me M149a2. I am usually familiar with how they operate.
However, mine has a manifold valve in a design I’ve not come across before. It does not want to turn either direction or pull out or push in. The top and bottom caps open to drain and vent.
But, I cannot get the square handle on the very front to do anything and I don’t want to break it. If anyone could explain to me how it functions I’d appreciate it.
The TMs I’ve found only show the T handle style.

IMG_3357.jpeg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope you don’t have to buy a new one.
Surplus ones are stupid expensive.

Mine is the t-handle and I assume they both work the same way, but I have not seen your style valve before. Just the T-handle.
As you turn the handle, it moves a plunger forward or backward to either open or close the side ports.
Lack of use and sediment/hardwater deposits plus rust freeze them in place.

Mine is stuck open.
No big deal since it gets drained before freezing temps arrive.
I want a new one but the prices are insane.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will be removing the front manifold valve for cleaning and inspection today or tomorrow.

The rear spigot stem had separated from the screw inside the barrel and wouldn’t function so the last unit that had it in service just threw a ball valve on the spigot. Luckily upon removal I was able to get the stem and screw out, place them on the tongue and hammer the stem back into the screw and it now functions with no leaks.

It’s amazing some of the simplest things they don’t fix while the equipment is in service. Let’s hope the front is as easy. Side note, does anyone have any leads on potable water safe o-rings? I’d like to keep some on hand for it.

Well, I need to buy a new valve. The worm gear in the current one would free up and also was pitted bad enough that the gear was damaged. If anyone has some spares I’d be interested.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would consider replacing the valve with a tee and putting ball valves on both sides. PVC fittings would be very reasonable. Some green paint and nobody will know.

So I was able to locate this specific valve finally. All the M149 variant TMs showed the valves we normally see on theses. However on a whim I decided to poke around on the M1112 TM and was able to cross reference the part number and this valve showed up. So it appears my 149A2 may either have had some updates or have been hybrid-ized at some point due to part swaps with what was on hand at its time in service. Hopefully this will help others in the future if they run into the same situation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks