• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help with starter for my 89 3 kw 24v generator

jonster

Does anyone have a schematic for a mep701a? I am still using the mep016b as a guide. I am working backwards to solve the battery charging problem. While running should I get an AC reading between #3 and #4 on the A1-TB2 board? How do I if the stator is working?

steelypip

AFAIK, the only differences between the MEP701A and the MEP-016B are in the wiring for the cooling fans on the ASK housing. The DC charging circuit should be exactly the same, as should be fault testing. Section 4-25 in TM 5-6115-615-12 covers quick diagnosis.

See this thread for more detail:

wiccantoy

We'll I have a bunch of posts on here of what was replaced. I did the fuel and oil filter. Drained and refilled the fuel. New glow plug. It was running and had to replace the starter. I've tried draining all the air since it is a diesel. Did also the throttle cable, I'm sure there is more but this is why I keep walking away.

1800 Diesel

We'll I have a bunch of posts on here of what was replaced. I did the fuel and oil filter. Drained and refilled the fuel. New glow plug. It was running and had to replace the starter. I've tried draining all the air since it is a diesel. Did also the throttle cable, I'm sure there is more but this is why I keep walking away.
It probably would have been better for you to add the new post to your original thread....if someone reads only this one they'll have no idea what the problem is--only that you have a problem with the unit....gimpyrobb asked what was wrong with the unit & near as I can tell, you didn't answer his question.

Kevin

wiccantoy

It probably would have been better for you to add the new post to your original thread....if someone reads only this one they'll have no idea what the problem is--only that you have a problem with the unit....gimpyrobb asked what was wrong with the unit & near as I can tell, you didn't answer his question.

Kevin
Ww
That has more to do with the fact I DONT KNOW WHaT. Especially with so many new parts. I'll find links to the oldder posts started

1800 Diesel

Oh, so you have what we call a "basket case" & trying to assemble the parts? Or does the unit just not run and several parts have been swapped out & it still won't start? Not trying to be smart here but we need basic facts in order to help....we'll hang with you once we get a little more info.... good luck with it! BTW, I've got 2 MEP-016Ds & haven't even gotten around to the basic service & light-off....too many other projects ahead of these two....

Kevin

wiccantoy

It was from my fire company where I was the chief engineer. Chief said he was gooing to scr it. Said to him, sorry but screw you. I'll put it in my truck till I get the time to finish it. We'll right now I'm getting kinda stumped.

CDR

I'm on Long Island I know that not much help to you your welcome to take a trip.. if you give up and want to sell it I could use the parts

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked through the threads you've started and wow was I surprised at how many you started for one generator project.

I've merged them all. Next time continue one thread.

You need to use the forum/site to your advantage. Make it hard for others to help, and guess what...

wiccantoy

Ok since we are still talking about the same unit, can someone guide me to where I can locate the instructions on getting the air out of the unit. I've been comparing it to diesel trucks I have and have worked on. I'm thinking it is air bound since all I have done and replaced. Thanks in advance.

derf

You have a 016B that won't run?
If so you need to check:
Air
Fuel
Compression

1. Make sure fuel is being delivered to the input side of the IP. There is a little hand lever for priming on the mechanical fuel transfer pump, IIRC.
2. Loosen the injector nut 1/2 turn and turn the motor over. You should get spurts of fuel if the IP is getting fuel and when the air is expelled.

If no fuel at either place figure out why and fix. If you get a steady spurt spurt spurt with the injector nut 1/2 turn loose and no action after you tighten the nut then start looking at other stuff.

There are several things that might stop the fuel flow: cutoff solenoid, float valve in tank, lift pump, IP, etc.

From memory, the 016B (Onan engine) has a cam driven transfer pump on the side to bring fuel to the IP. In my experience the units sit for a while and the transfer pump plunger can get gummed up. If this happens it won't pump fuel.

Try the above and post here how far you get with the fuel.

Last edited:

derf

016bip.jpg

Get fuel to the red arrow. Then, loosen the fitting at the green arrow 1/2 turn and turn over, looking for spurt spurt sprut.
Here is another view of the green arrow, only orange this time:

016bfuelinjector.JPG

Here is a side view showing fuel transfer pump and IP:

IMG_1432.jpg

I'm going on memory here and I haven't had my hands on one in a few years, so..................correct me if I'm wrong.

wiccantoy

I have done what you said before. It does indeed work when you had said. Now I'm further big amen to find out why it is not starting. Use the start and run but I replaced so many things and now I believe that it is airlock / bound etc....

derf

It's pretty simple. It needs fuel and air to run. If you provide both and start it, it will continue to run until it breaks or until fuel or air is shut off.
If you have bad fuel or if any of the 3 pumps isn't working of if the tank float is down or bad of if the fuel solenoid is bad or off it will not run.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks