• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help with starter for my 89 3 kw 24v generator

wiccantoy

Just as title says this beast needs a starter. the **** thing only has under 600 hours. sadly i cant find one. hopeing someone on here has an idea for me. local rebuild shop says they can do it but it will cost me 400 bucks. its a MEP-016B Put a new starter solenoid on it started to work than nothing.

coyote62ny

try saturn surplus at 1-888-440-9400 or colmans surplus at 1-888-478-7758 and mabe delks surplus at 1-336-629-0991 if that set has the 4ao32 engine those starters are on ebay just look under military generators

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please do not spell as if your texting.

I use junkyard takeouts (2, 12 volt batteries).

wiccantoy

anyone know a way take take the generator to 12v set-up? And what parts that are needed? really dont think i want to do it. But need to look into other options. First need to figure out the wireing on the gen to see if i can make it run 240v.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll need to be a bit more specific, what model generator? Most, if not all Mil Spec gen sets will also have 24v control circuits.

Please capitalize your sentences. We have high standards here on SS. We ask that everyone try to use at least 8th grade grammar skills.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not very familiar with that gen set. Sorry.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the rules, follow the rules, obey the moderators, or go somewhere else.

I asked nice.

. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read!

Last edited:

Keith_J

24 volt systems are superior. Sure, seems overkill for a generator but when you absolutely need electrical power, having the ability to crank a bit faster makes a world of difference with diesels. Reduction geared starters and 24 volts assures a start.

Now the CUCV 12/24 volt system plants seeds. They are convertible because they were originally 12 volt. Nearly all other systems are designed from ground as 24 volt.

BTW, I am using BCI 51R type batteries in my MEP-002A.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks