• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with trying to decide where noise is coming from.

hvillem1009

I was driving my M1009 home from work yesterday, and I started noticing a loud roaring noise whenever I would let off the gas pedal and start braking. When I would give it gas, the noise would go away. It progressively got worse the closer I got home. The roaring noise is only there when I let off gas to slow down. As long as I am applying gas the noise is not there. Any ideas would be appreciated.

hvillem1009

I have checked the engine compartment and transmission, but don't see any obvious signs of anything wrong. I checked the fluid levels in the front/rear differentials and they are full.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps you should have told us all the things you've checked instead of telling us this after we offer suggestions.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look close at your starter support. Check if it is tight.

The throttle cable can vibrate, check the bolts on that bracket.

And the air filter housing , as Recovry said.

hvillem1009

Ok. I checked the air filter housing and one of the top bolts was loose, so I tightened it. Checked the belts, battery supports and power steering fluid. Found out the power steering pump is out of fluid. Would the pump being out of fluid make that much noise? I also checked the starter bracket, it is still tight. I just recently had to replace started bolt that broke, checked those and they are still tight. Thanks so far for the suggestions, if you anymore let me know.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check u joints my truck was doing same thing weird noise when off throttle gone when throttle up

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take apart and do a inspestion. Don't lose needle bearings. They like to jump out when you pull caps on joint

Hasdrubal

Never had a loud roaring type noise from u-joints. Usually its a high pitched squeek as the needle bearings get ground into dust. The driveshaft u-joints can be inspected for play manually by hand, will be quite apparent if they're shot. The front axle u-joints can also be checked by hand, if they're gone, you'll notice that they bind.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first time I heard my engine fan in the M1010 I thought I ran over a freight train. Had the stereo down or the wind was blowing the right direction but I thought I was doing it backing off on the gas until the hmmmms turned to aaaa ha. Just the fan kicking in. When I let off the throttle to slow down, the hammering 6.2 was quieter than the fan. How hot is it there?

After everything else, eliminate the probability of pulley bearings by loosening belts and spinning everything by hand. Strange noises suck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks