• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with turbo repair.

EZFEED

Hey guys I need a little help with my turbo. I'm planning on rebuilding it in the near future and would like to know if anyone sels a rebuild/repair kit/individual parts for these with all necessary gakets and bearings. Are there any special tools that I'll need?
I'm not one of those guys who brings stuff to the shop to have a "professional" do it, I prefer to do it on my own so this is a shoutout to all of my fellow do it yourselfers/home mechanics. 8) :D

rdixiemiller

Memphis has kits for about $280 if I remember correctly. If the case has been rubbed by the vanes, throw the turbo away, it will be out of balance. I took apart a C turbo to rebuild, found nothing salvageable. Shaft was scored, one end of the ceter section was spun out, and the compressor had been nibbling on the housing. Gave the remains to Freight Train to mock up on a Ford truck.

FreightTrain

Banned
Yea,and that turbo is still rolling around in my trucks bed.....One day I will get it out and see if it will even bolt up to the Turbo system I have in the shed....

houdel

Is there a TM or other reference out there with instructions for disassembly, inspection, replacement of damaged/worn parts and reassembly of a "C" or "D" turbo?

jwaller

to build a turbo correctly is must be balanced and I dont think anybody here other than maybe ken has that equipment. have a turbo shop do it unless you want more problems down the road.

13B40

The manual you are looking for is TM 9-2990-201-40&P. It dosn't cover all the turbos but enough to get you going. Portrayal Press sells them.
I've rebuilt a couple myself. No problems so far. Parts may be hard to find and expensive. Schwitzer (Borg-Warner) had kits for the "D" (3LM) turbo a year ago when I got mine. I think it was $125.00 from a local dealer. Good Luck!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure when you take it apart that you mark the shaft and compressor wheel. To make sure you put them back in the same exact location as you took it apart. If not it will be out of balence. Turbos this small have to be in balence with in just a few milligrams. IF not they destroy the shaft and bearings from vibration. This takes only a couple of seconds. The worst case is a pretty good compressor wheel explosion! Witch i'll get some pics of.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks