• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help With Wiring

shnbrna

I need some help with the wiring on my system. I am hopeful that some of you who understand wiring will tell me I’m ok, or what to fix.
I am completely ignorant, but dived into this frame off rebuild project anyway - how else do you learn?
I have an M38A1, converted to 12v - still has a generator, generator regulator, original gauges (incl Ammeter), and now a key with separate start button. I have referred to numerous wiring diagrams that solve my individual problems, but not address my whole problem. Would some of you in the know, take a look at my diagram and let me know if I am going to burn my jeep up.
I think I have the lights/taillights and the gauges (other than the ammeter) figured out. It’s the ignition, fuses, etc that are causing me concern.
Thanks for your help,
Shane

Attachments

JGBallew

At a glance, looks okay, but you're not going to be able to turn your headlights on with the ignition off, but your turn signals will work all the time. (backwards, unless you want ignition off hazards and have a Sig-Stat box of some kind, and at that point IIRC they have a separate hazard power feed)

I would not run the supply from the VR, rather use a jumper from the solenoid, to a buss or fuse block.

Given the option, I replace ammeters with voltage gauges.
Ammeters show rate of charge, voltmeters show state of charge.

shnbrna

I think that is how I want the lights/hazards. This will let me abandon it safely on the road (with hazards) after it brakes down on me. For lights, since it is an unsecured cab, I don't want kids turning and leaving them on.

I am considering an after-market volt guage. Though my jeep has some mod's from previous owners, I'm still trying to keep it as true as possible to original - thus the ammeter.