• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help! Wont Start

vbrescueman

Hey guys...Need some 'expertly' advice from ya'll. I've replaced the fuel lines on the deuce ( the plastic ones blew out going down the road-what a mess. Anyhow, The truck has become very hard to start and I found that a couple of the lines were loose-fixed that however, she is still hard
/wont start w/out the help of a whiff of ether. I just replaced the two fuel filters on the motor and am going out now to check the primary under the alt. All help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Jones

Sounds like air in the fuel system.
Have you tried bleeding the fuel lines and filters after you did the filter change? Air will compress so it acts like a shock absorber and won't let the injectors unload when the IP does it's thing.
If you get as far as needing to bleed the high pressure lines to the injectors, only crack the fittings a turn and DO NOT get in the way of the spray; a rag draped over or around the fitting is a good idea. Fuel at that point is at a high enough pressure to penetrate the skin and that will definately spoil your day.

Jones

Not always. Liquid fuel isn't compressable but air is and acts like a cushion; the injectors need solid fuel to fire properly. When the high pressure side of the injection pump distributes to a given injector, any air in that line compresses and absorbs the high pressure pulse. It's that pulse that overcomes the injector's internal spring and lets it unload and atomize the fuel properly. The filters may bleed out but they'll do it by just pushing the air down stream to the injection pump.

rice

My deuce was terrible to start. I'd have to turn on the pump and loosen the fitting on top of the secondary to let the air out and it would start. When I replaced the primary filter(which was almost completely plugged), it cranks easy every time.

vbrescueman

fired her up-with ether. question- the top rail is for fuel return/extra correct? I have fuel coming OUT of the front copper line closest to the compressor- grrrrr. an explanation of the fuel delivery process would be greatly appreciated. Also- losing topend speed - maxes out at 35-40 mph.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks