• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need hemtt Detroit Diesel 8v92ta mechanic near Sacramento

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Snowrac,
I bought a tool that basically is spring loaded and goes in the air ports so you use the piston to push it out. That’s the plan.
Tracer,
I will look at all that stuff but I’m not interested in tearing it all apart. If it looks god from the bottom side, it’s staying left alone. Once the head is off I’ll inspect liner bores etc. After much anguish, I’m probably going to do both sides including liner O-rings.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, I agree if it looks good leave it alone. But I always hope for the best, and prepare for the worst. It looks like the wife may have several days off around the 18th of this month. So if you don't have everything put back together by then maybe I can lend a hand....I'm good at using a broom. 🧹

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update 1/4/20:
Used the head lifting rig I fabricated and got the head bolts broken loose. Lifted off the right head with minimum issues. At least I could use the tire crane to lift and lower the head off the motor.

Attachments

Valor

Hi Mike. I've been following along with your repair. I have experience with the 53 series detroits but not the 92. They are similar in that they have wet liners. Keep up the good work. You have a massive shop. That's an awesome truck and engine. I would love to have one....someday!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, look for areas on the squish rings for carbon tracking, that will be an indication of the gasket blowing, the little white grommets will be split or destroyed in the path of the compression leak. If no evidence found, check the head for cracks, look between the injector bore and valves and between valves.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, something else I just thought of, it is aftercooled, corrrect? The cooler is air to water, could be a failed aftercooler.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, look for areas on the squish rings for carbon tracking, that will be an indication of the gasket blowing, the little white grommets will be split or destroyed in the path of the compression leak. If no evidence found, check the head for cracks, look between the injector bore and valves and between valves.
Did that and didn’t see anything that stands out. No evidence of head cracks either.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the aftercooler is pretty easy, sometimes they can be repaired, blower needs to come off. I would still be looking at the pistons real good. In one of the pics you posted looking into the air box, it looked like that piston was scuffed. Roll the engine over to get the pistons at BDC on each cylinder and look for scuffs/scratches, aluminum transfer to the cylinder walls.

If you change your mind, you know how to reach me 🍻

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good Mike, steady as she goes. I'll call ya later today, need a couple of quick tips on painting my Deuce, I want to do a 3 color camo.

davidb56

He
Well, the aftercooler is pretty easy, sometimes they can be repaired, blower needs to come off. I would still be looking at the pistons real good. In one of the pics you posted looking into the air box, it looked like that piston was scuffed. Roll the engine over to get the pistons at BDC on each cylinder and look for scuffs/scratches, aluminum transfer to the cylinder walls.

If you change your mind, you know how to reach me 🍻
He can pressure test it without pulling the turbo and blower too.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not with the head off.....well, maybe, plug the outlet or inlet, put regulated pressure with a shut off to the opposite end and see if it holds pressure....has to have a gauge somewhere in the loop.

davidb56

Not with the head off.....well, maybe, plug the outlet or inlet, put regulated pressure with a shut off to the opposite end and see if it holds pressure....has to have a gauge somewhere in the loop.
cap a hose on the outlet. put a short hose on the inlet with a air fitting, then a ball valve, and a gauge, and then pressure it up, with about 5psi, shut the valve, keep a eye on the gauge.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't remember how the cooler on a 92 receives coolant. I do remember the outlet is on the left bank under the gov, linkage tubes. Too rusty on driptroits to be of much use.

davidb56

S
I don't remember how the cooler on a 92 receives coolant. I do remember the outlet is on the left bank under the gov, linkage tubes. Too rusty on driptroits to be of much use.
Same here.....the 71 series was the cats meow in my days.. I went looking at the 8V92's and it seems there are a few different type of intercoolers depending on application. one looks easy to set up a test, the other...not so much. Hopefully he finds the source, and its easy to fix.

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update 1/5/20
Got the other head off today. Now both heads are off and I can start cleaning the heads and block. No obvious seal failures that can positively identify the source of the engine failure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks