• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need hemtt Detroit Diesel 8v92ta mechanic near Sacramento

Valor

I used a socket just big enough to seat the wrist pin retainers. The TM did not specify a special tool to install or to use for leak tesing. They all went in good with the detent facing in. One was a bit problematic and it got buggered up just a bit At the edge. I ended up with an extra retainer so I may pull Out the buggered up one and replace. Will Wagner lent me a ring compressor for installing the pistons in the Liners. I’ll post a pic of the buggered one this weekend.
The Kent- Moore tool part number shown in one of the service manual pics is for a 53 series. A 92 series would have a bigger wrist pin and a different tool and number. it would be a good idea to check those retainers for leaks cuz oil can leak there if not sealed good and then you burn oil. I used a socket one time with a 53 series and the engine used a lot of oil. A tapered sleeve piston installer would be a lot easier than a ring compressor. There are 5 rings on each piston and you don't want to break any. If I had a tapered installer for a 92 series I would loan it to you but I don't. Your gonna need an injector timing tool also later on. I have one but not sure if it's what you need. I'll see which one I have. Carry on!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a socket just big enough to seat the wrist pin retainers. The TM did not specify a special tool to install or to use for leak tesing. They all went in good with the detent facing in. One was a bit problematic and it got buggered up just a bit At the edge. I ended up with an extra retainer so I may pull Out the buggered up one and replace. Will Wagner lent me a ring compressor for installing the pistons in the Liners. I’ll post a pic of the buggered one this weekend.
Mike, DO REPLACE that buggered up retainer. I've seen them come unseated and tear up a piston and liner. Other wise, carry on. (y)

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can see the buggering is superficial. I can still replace before assembly. Your thoughts?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update 5/10/2020
opened up the gasket set. found several gaskets damaged. PC industries was good about replacing. Ready to install pistons into liners. Also, here is a closeup of the buggered up piston pin cap. Minor at worst.

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update 6/6/2020:
finally installed the liners and pistons. What a chore. Used hose to guide the rod past the crank so no damage to the crank. Made my own liner hold down brackets. Found that the left bank went in easier than the right bank...a bit of block warpage is my guess. None the less, we are ready to reinstall heads.

Attachments

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the gaskets all have counterbores and machined grooves to sit in. The Split sleeves were in the head. I’m pretty sure for aligning the head onto the block. Just not sure if I need both the sleeves and the pins I bought.

MrMikey4026

the gaskets all have counterbores and machined grooves to sit in. The Split sleeves were in the head. I’m pretty sure for aligning the head onto the block. Just not sure if I need both the sleeves and the pins I bought.
The sleeves go in the top outside bolt holes in the heads.
I have always used old head bolts for guide studs, do not use the in the holes with the guide sleeves!
If they are threaded, just urn them in a thread or so, makes them much easier to remove.
don forget the shims on ther deck surface.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sleeves go in the top outside bolt holes in the heads.
I have always used old head bolts for guide studs, do not use the in the holes with the guide sleeves!
If they are threaded, just urn them in a thread or so, makes them much easier to remove.
don forget the shims on ther deck surface.
Just to be clear. I use the split rings in the top outer head bolt holes between the head and block. I use the alignment pins but not in the same holes as the split rings. This way I’ll have more help aligning the head correctly.
yes, I wont forget the shims on the deck surface.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update 6/22
put the split rings in the head and the alignment pins take up the slack perfectly. TM says to put alignment pins in bottom outer head bolt holes. I’m going to install the split rings in the associated Bottom outer bolt holes of the head and the alignment pins in the block Bottom outer head bolt holes.
head gasket has a green side, I thought I read somewhere about a color facing a certain way?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks