• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need hemtt Detroit Diesel 8v92ta mechanic near Sacramento

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update 9/20:
scored two of the gages on eBay. $15 for one and $20 for the other.
just now would like borrow, or buy cheap, J34610 injector timing gage 1.466” high.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have them but I am working out of state for who knows how long....

It’s cheaper and easier to just buy them & have them on hand when you need them. The part I’ve had the hardest time finding was the Governor Gap gauge (.200 wedge), had to pay $$$ for a Bosch unit as the KM was just not available.

And get yourself a quality blower rebuild kit, never know when you might need to use it.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update 9/26/2020:
got the two gages needed to adjust the throttle delay. Pretty simple adjustment. Installed the exhaust manifolds. Attached the remaining air lines to throttle, fan clutch etc. finished wiring jake brakes. Ordered the 1.470” injector height adjustment tool. The tool should arrive this week. Tomorrow I’ll install the muffler.

remaining items:
check and adjust injector rockers.
install large ducting between air cleaner and turbo.
oil filter install
add fluids
add batteries.

No mention in the TM about priming the fuel system? Thoughts?

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For priming the fuel system, I’ve used compressed air in the past but prefer using an inexpensive 12V inline fuel pump instead, plumbed between fuel tank & primary filter. As soon as you hear fuel being returned to the tank you can remove the pump and reconnect the fuel fittings, or like I did with my 4-53T just release the quick disconnects and turn a couple of ball valves to redirect the fuel flow to stock. Do not use the starter to prime the system, you’ll burn up all of your hard work as the fuel parts are lubricated by the fuel.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For priming the fuel system, I’ve used compressed air in the past but prefer using an inexpensive 12V inline fuel pump instead, plumbed between fuel tank & primary filter. As soon as you hear fuel being returned to the tank you can remove the pump and reconnect the fuel fittings, or like I did with my 4-53T just release the quick disconnects and turn a couple of ball valves to redirect the fuel flow to stock. Do not use the starter to prime the system, you’ll burn up all of your hard work as the fuel parts are lubricated by the fuel.
Can you give/make a sketch? Sorry, I’m a visual guy...

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perfect. I have that TM. I read it and see that its a hand pump that threads into the side of the fuel filter housing and sucks fuel up from the tank into the filter. Since I did not disconnect anything south of that, it’s primed up to that point as far as the TM goes.

MrMikey4026

I just use a 12 volt Facet pump connected to the secondary filter (extra pipe plug on the inlet side) with a ball valve. Run the pump until return is free of bubbles, turn it off, close the valve at start that thing!

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update 10/11/2020
with help from Tracer, we were able to double check and readjust the injector rocker heights. Most were within a 1/2 turn of the pushrod.
Next thing we tackled was the muffler. Glad I have a spare tire crane. We got that installed with minimal issues.
Installed the valve covers, breather tubes and the intake pipe. Got the front tires installed and dropped her off the jack stands...10 months later...

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been so long, wouldn't know what to do except step back and watch. Did I ever tell you my nick name when I first started in the industry was Willy Watch Me Work?

That's only because the service manager saw me standing in the doorway at the dyno, guess my jaw was on the floor and I was totally focused on the truck sitting still, making HP, IIRC it was a 600 hp K model. He gave me that name, when the parts dept would have my parts pulled, that's how they paged me. That lasted for years! I remember it like it was last night.

Got beer?

I'll be out in the dirt with the Jeep.

Yes, I will have beer!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks