• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need hub help

big bad blazer

well i went to pull out a bush today and i went to lock in the hubs and they wouldnt lock so i took the driver side hub off and it looked good but when i took off the passenger side off it looked rusty so what do i had to do to repack it or what do i do.

rod

Take it apart, clean everything up to remove the rust. If only surface rust, you will be fine putting it back together after cleaning and repacking. If rusted beyond repair, post what parts you need. Someone on here will have the extra parts.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look in the -20 TM, section 8-3, front hubs.
Not preaching here but you should familarize yourself with each of the TMs.
In addition to the TMs, you should also obtain the appropriate Chilton or Haynes manual for your truck.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having recently stripped BOTH my front axles down to bare spindles, TRUST ME, the inside of your front axles from the spindle out are NOT like the normal Chevy/GMC hubs. They do not disassemble like a normal Chevy hub would.

There is a locking key and a flat spring that covers it that must be removed before you can remove the last large locking nut. Read the -20 TM. It helps a little. If all you are going to do is remove JUST the hubs and NOT strip it down all the way, then you might dodge that issue.

As far as the front hubs, get axle grease. The lubrication order (can't remember the number) gives you the specs, but pretty much any current axle hub grease (comes in a tub where I buy it for about $5) will work. I stay away from any synthetic axle grease, but that's just me.

Old school.

Good luck. Let us know how it comes out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks