• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Info from NC Members M923A2 Title, Registration, and License Plate experience...

FlakShrapnel

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?71482-Registration-for-NC-deuce-with-Bill-of-Sale

I’ve gone through the Steel Soldier’s library and found this older link with Title, Registration, and License Plate information, but not really sure what to expect from NC DMV other than a difficult time to say the least.

Currently I have from GL:

Bill of Sale
Re-assignment of SF-97
The United States Government (Certificate to Obtain Title to a Vehicle)

I also obtain vehicle insurance for weight of 22,000lb before driving the M923A2 from DE back to NC with a DE temporary transportation tag.

Two questions I’m hoping to receive information before attempting dreaded NC DMV.

1[SUP]st[/SUP]) Should I obtain personal vehicle inspection before or after attempting Title, Registration, and License Plate. From what I’ve heard at this point NC use to require vehicle inspection before hand, but now require it after approval to limit people driving to inspection station without proper Title, Registration, and License Plate.

When I originally obtained temporary transportation tags from Delaware their system would not accept the short digit Military Vehicle ID number as a VIN#. They cut corners to process the tag because I was leaving that day and would no longer be an issue for DE DMV.

2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) Now as for NC DMV’s Title, Registration, and License Plate how does the process work from here and what do I need to do to make it easier for NC DMV and I…?

Thanks for your time and consideration,
B

Last edited:
I have titled a few, you need nothing more than what you have (SF-97). I have TAGGED a couple trucks as RV's, a safety inspection was not required. I think on any new vehicle you now have a 'pass' on the inspection until the 2nd year. If you do not have CDL's you need to register it as an RV to be able to legally drive it. If you DO have CDL's you can tag it with a $$$$ weighted tag.

I would take the SF-97 to the DMV and see what they say, I have had one truck they would not process and I had to get a DMV inspector to come verify the serial number, all the others I have not had a problem.

twalker

I bought an M923A2 and need to fill out the SF-97. However, I cannot find where the VIN number is located on the vehicle. Can you tell me where to look or what the number should look like. There are lots of numbers in various places, but none that say VIN or close. thanks.

FlakShrapnel

Thanks for your reply CBR Metalworks,

I have ClassB CDL, but was planning on registering it as a RV with limited in state hauling; shooting targets and plate steel as a major "hobbyist" match director sponsor for fun shoots. All proceeds from the matches goes to the club ranges and only hard work with no profit for I. So I don't believe I need commercial tags for plate steel target development or hauling to the local ranges.

PM sent...

FlakShrapnel

I bought an M923A2 and need to fill out the SF-97. However, I cannot find where the VIN number is located on the vehicle. Can you tell me where to look or what the number should look like. There are lots of numbers in various places, but none that say VIN or close. thanks.
Check the passenger side dashboard. A plate will have the Vehicle ID number. Generally short 8 digit number, nothing like the 17 digit VIN NC DMV generally requires. My vehicle ID was with all numbers and no letters: 2306878

Last edited:

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OP - how did you end up registering yours? I recently registered my M1078. I registered mine as a truck and got a 24k weighted tag.

swede69

titled my 932a1 as a farm truck.i had to fill out a farm truck form and get it noterized.and a weighted price for the tag,must use as farm truck within a 50 mile radius.no problem at the dmv.insurance was more of a problem to do it correctly if not you will not be covered.accident=BIG MONEY thats from a insurance standpoint.no insp. first year but had to get a safty insp the second year $13 or $14.find a place that does rv insp you should not have a problem.

Last edited:

FlakShrapnel

OP - how did you end up registering yours? I recently registered my M1078. I registered mine as a truck and got a 24k weighted tag.
I went to the Raleigh DMV Headquarters for license plate. I figured I would have access to the most experienced DMV employees. They were mostly concerned about insurance based on NC requires 14,000 lbs or above weight policy and didn't really care about weighted tags to match unless I was planning to use the MV for business. I'd asked about the difference between RV and regular private vehicle tags. Here again they didn't really care which route I used so I went with personal vehicle 4000 lbs tag. Cheap with no emission test inspection requirement.

I've asked a two State Troopers and they didn't answer directly. More like us guessing...lol.

A retired military buddy of mine laughed when I asked him, he said never seen law enforcement pull a MV over regardless who was driving it. It's a toy for most of us and if you have "adequate" insurance Zoom...Zoom.

I've drove my MV past and into weight stations as well as around individual patrol cars with no issues. If I ever run across an State Trooper with tag issues I'll pay the ticket and change tag pending on his/her advice. Personally I don't think officials know what to do with MVs unless you use it for business or actual camper RV custom build.

Maybe not sound advice on my part, but I drive it on the weekends nonetheless.

Oxyacetylene..., What was the cost of your RV tag...?

Last edited:

Doug Roberts

Take all the paperwork to DMV , pay the sales tax , apply for title , might take 3 weeks. When you get it , you're ready for inspection and registration. Before you go get another one ! ... get a business license and apply for a Transporter plate. You can use this plate to transport from the auction site , repairs , fuel , ect , just can't be using the truck with a payload.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ended up just getting a weighted tag. Next year I may change to either a normal tag or a lower weight one at least. For now I just wanted to be sure I had all of my bases covered and not take any chances. When I went to the local DMV office, the information for the truck was not in the system (surprise surprise), so they were not automatically pushing me to get the weighted tag. I think if the system info would have shown the truck weighs as much as it does, they would have steered me towards the weighted tag automatically. I see lots of weighted tags on pickup trucks, even some 1500 series, and I am pretty sure they are not all commercial...so that's why I say I think they would have steered me in that direction if the system would have shown the weight of the truck.

I want to say the cost of the 24k tag itself was around $365, but I would have to go look at the receipt to confirm. Since the property taxes are bundled with registration now, I had to pay 3% HUT, property tax, and tag all at once.

Another member on here was telling me that to register one as an RV, it must be inspected by a DMV inspection/enforcement officer and they look for specific things. That's as far as I went with that. I figure they want to look at it and determine if it can be counted as an RV or not.

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

Holy crap the ticket you'll be in for if they catch you with 4000# tags :recovry4x4:

I have mine tagged for 26000# and it was around $400

Their computer doesn't show them how much your truck weighs, that's your responsibility.

FlakShrapnel

Holy crap the ticket you'll be in for if they catch you with 4000# tags :recovry4x4:

I have mine tagged for 26000# and it was around $400

Their computer doesn't show them how much your truck weighs, that's your responsibility.
Under weight ticket average cost $400 vs. RV tag almost $400 vs. weight tag for 26,000 cost $400 vs. Max gross of 41,550 (vehicle 21,550 plus max load of 20,000) pending on how crazy we may take it, cost is over $600.

Most likely I would get nailed on the highway especially with custom NRA plate (no doubt about it easy for any officer to recognize tag), but then again I generally drive back county roads for short fun trips for the kids and if I burn myself it's ok. I'll pay the fine and update to weight tag next year...lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks