• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need info on M923 ,Big case

floridastateo8

I want to know how you got outpulled by those trucks. An 855 truck should have no issue in low range dragging them around. They dont have the weight to put traction to the ground with the ag tires. An 809 series truck can full pull a sled in low range in 3rd gear. Heck they couldnt move the m923 with the parking brake up. Just sayin.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Those two trucks with ag tires next to me weigh in at around 35k pounds. My M923 doesn't even get up to the 25k mark, without weight being added.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry otto correct 7018 rod , 7808 is jet engine oil. I am not big fan of brazing ,it is an introduction of a third material , many times brass, although many things can be used to seep into the microscopic surface of the cracked area and is more a filler and bonding agent than a MELDING material as welding is. if its not a structural weld it can surfice . But it works, can be a lost art. 7018 rod is made for welding cast iron. Nodular iron is a ductile mix of iron and usually magnesium, Very small amount ,it gives the iron workability, many cast cases are made from ductile (nodular iron) to give it increased resistence to cracking and making it more malable , Large plumbing and sewer pipes as well
7018 is not made for welding cast iron. 55 and 99% nickel rods are typical for welding cast along with a million fancy trademark named rods that are essentially the same chemistry and mixes of nickel and iron.

I understand nodular iron, it's "nodular cast steel" I was curious about. Cast steels can usually be welded with typical procedures as mild steel, although preheating is still nice.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Those two trucks with ag tires next to me weigh in at around 35k pounds. My M923 doesn't even get up to the 25k mark, without weight being added.
If they weigh 35k combined they would be lucky. Maybe with a bed full of people added as well.

floridastateo8

If they weigh 35k combined they would be lucky. Maybe with a bed full of people added as well.

Based on how easily I was pulled, I believe the weight. My gut tells me those 35.5 tractor tires were filled with liquid ballast. If the tires were filled with water (not a heavier ballast) the 4 tires without wheels would weigh over 25k. Add in the wheels, 20 ton Clark axles, sub-frame, full size truck, not to mention any additional weight that cant be seen in the bed and 35k is pretty easily attainable.

The orange one pulled two good size trucks (with added weight) tied together. Video here: https://youtu.be/Qia6QkdRBmw?t=1m33s

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One problem for you, is how high his hitch is, adding to his traction and decreasing yours. Next time see if you can find someplace local to load you up with about 15 ton of sand.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Based on how easily I was pulled, I believe the weight. My gut tells me those 35.5 tractor tires were filled with liquid ballast. If the tires were filled with water (not a heavier ballast) the 4 tires without wheels would weigh over 25k. Add in the wheels, 20 ton Clark axles, sub-frame, full size truck, not to mention any additional weight that cant be seen in the bed and 35k is pretty easily attainable.

The orange one pulled two good size trucks (with added weight) tied together. Video here: https://youtu.be/Qia6QkdRBmw?t=1m33s
If the tires were filled then there is no way that truck had enough power to spin those plus pull a 923. It takes alot to spin a 400lb super single with 650ftlbs. There is not enough mass present to accumulate 35,000lbs. I haul alot of trucks and equipment and That truck is no where near the weight of a D6 or two SEEs combined.
Sorry about getting embarrassed by getting pulled around by those things but given the fact you said you had not read the TM on backing up in reverse tells me that you don't know how to operate the truck to its max potential. Heck an A2 truck can move 218,000lbs. While an 855 would ask for the 218k and some.

Fyi its easier to pull against 2 trucks hooked in a line together than seperate. Once the chain on the rear and front of the one truck is tight then the force from the chain pull goes thru the truck body to the other chain actually taking traction off the ground. Dont believe me, put a half ton truck in the front with a samuri or a wrangler in the middle they will actually flip over on their roofs. //cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5943428e1e21e/tapatalk_1457557065127.jpeg?

Last edited:

floridastateo8

One problem for you, is how high his hitch is, adding to his traction and decreasing yours. Next time see if you can find someplace local to load you up with about 15 ton of sand.
When we pulled against each other, he was connected to the strap on his rear axle. This resulted in the strap being level.

Great idea on the sand. I was thinking about making molds to make concrete blocks, and then loading them up with the tractor just before going.

floridastateo8

If the tires were filled then there is no way that truck had enough power to spin those plus pull a 923. It takes alot to spin a 400lb super single with 650ftlbs. There is not enough mass present to accumulate 35,000lbs. I haul alot of trucks and equipment and That truck is no where near the weight of a D6 or two SEEs combined.
Sorry about getting embarrassed by getting pulled around by those things but given the fact you said you had not read the TM on backing up in reverse tells me that you don't know how to operate the truck to its max potential. Heck an A2 truck can move 218,000lbs. While an 855 would ask for the 218k and some.

Fyi its easier to pull against 2 trucks hooked in a line together than seperate. Once the chain on the rear and front of the one truck is tight then the force from the chain pull goes thru the truck body to the other chain actually taking traction off the ground. Dont believe me, put a half ton truck in the front with a samuri or a wrangler in the middle they will actually flip over on their roofs. //cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5943428e1e21e/tapatalk_1457557065127.jpeg?

Simp,

I'm not sure I understand why you say he wouldn't have enough power to spin those tires. Isn't the extreme gearing ratio in the 20 ton Clark axles + his custom transfer case multiplying his torque immensely? Also, I just explained the math on how to get to 35k, and that is before he adds weight / people to the truck.

Help me understand how to operate the truck to its max potential. Low range + braking to simulate locking up of the axles in case they slip - I didn't realize there was much to miss here. If I am coming off as a smart a$$, I don't mean to. I really don't understand what there is to miss. Embarrassment has nothing to do with it.

Hauling a 218,000# rolling load is different than pulling against another vehicle of greater mass pulling against you. I agree that our trucks are stout; I can pull 100 tons on wheels that are free to spin but that isn't the same as pulling against a 30k+ pound truck that is trying to drag you the opposite direction.

And as far as pulling against 2 trucks, I don't disagree. You bring up a valid point, but that is heavily dependent on the angle of the straps for all vehicles involved.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hehe... let Simp know when the next event is, maybe he can line up a load to get down there and figure out what's wrong with the situation. Something does seem to be amiss, what is the surface your pulling on?
Don't drive 2 hrs with 15 ton in the bed, you'll likely blow some tires. I was just thinking of as much weight possible by getting loaded near the event, then shovel a bunch off in the weeds or somewhere before the drive home.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hehe... let Simp know when the next event is, maybe he can line up a load to get down there and figure out what's wrong with the situation. Something does seem to be amiss, what is the surface your pulling on?
Don't drive 2 hrs with 15 ton in the bed, you'll likely blow some tires. I was just thinking of as much weight possible by getting loaded near the event, then shovel a bunch off in the weeds or somewhere before the drive home.

in the video on both times he outpulls them he gets a half a second jump on the count of 1 rather than waiting for the go for the other trucks to take off. I also forget how gutless a stock NHC250 is on throttle response and with a person who doesn't know their truck it probably got dragged. I know a truck on super singles will have a hard time. but I know my 923 would drag him with a little fight from him. Now if I knocked it down onto G177s that "king krush" wouldn't have a chance. Those G177s will grip hard enough to snap the transfer case in half even going forwards in reverse. I have done it, more than once lol.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know my A2 won't spin the tires on wet grass ,in high range, trying to pull anything.

I know the 855 has a lot more off idle torque, but was curios if an empty A1 will spin the tires in high range, on concrete, asphalt or dry hard packed dirt?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks