• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need input on M108 purchase

ida34

I know it has been a while. I have been pretty busy and have not had time to post much. I had some misfortune in my life and my wife passed away. Now I want to build a pole barn workshop to help take up my spare time. This is why you guys did not see me at Findley this year. I am going to build the barn with my son and daughter and I came across a M108. I figured it would be good to help build the barn and just fun in general. The truck was a runner a few years ago. The guy is a farmer and when he needs it he takes out a jerry can and battery and fires it up. It is still a gasser. It needs a front winch, door glass, batteries and it leaks down hydraulic fluid over time. He said he uses it once every few years and he has to fill up the hydraulic reservoir when he uses it. I will look for any obvious leaking at the fittings as I know they are unobtainable. One wheel cylinder is also leaking. Not a big deal. He said he does not have the travel locks or the ground supports for the boom. It does have the outriggers. We are at the $3000 range. What do you guys think? The boom looks straight with no bow to it. What is the max height it will lift a truss? Open up the discussions.

Chuck

ida34

The boom supports are missing and there is no BII. I had the pic but can't copy it for some reason. The pic is not that good to find little things but the works lights are there but the boom supports are missing.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How rusty is it? Any pics?
With the truck weighing over 19,000lbs, scrap value may be close to or over the 3,000 mark.

No ground supports for the boom come with M108's.
Travel/boom supports or locks can be had from a M62. Some M108s had adjustable ones, same as M62's, others were non adjustable.

Depends on how tall your trusses are. I've attached a piece of antenna tower to mine before for lifting light loads higher.

I would say the price is not bad, depending on condition. If the sheet metal is straight and not rusty, that is a huge bonus.

Mine was 1700, but it WAS a very neglected and very rusty truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Expect hose replacements and there are a few fittings made of unobtanium. There is a thread going on the fitting topic now. If it's reasonably complete and you can test out operation of the boom, it's worth the cash. Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond to the PM, just got back home.

ida34

I am going to look at it on Sunday and hopefully bring it home. I was bidding on the M936 out of Redstone and had it up to the last few minutes. I was out at $5200 and it went for the bid after my last bid. I did get a M925 out of Lansing for a song at $3400. Gimpy made a good point of the M108 being smaller and easier to move around. I am not sure on rust but the long distance shot looked OK. Since I did not get the M936 I think I will get this one. I will post picks later. If he can start it for me and I can check the operation of everything I think I will be pulling it home.

Kenny,
No problem on the late response. I did spy the thread on the fittings. I also have a CNC machine that I had to stop working on when my wife got sick. I hope to get it up and running soon and if I can get a working adapter fitting I will let people know and try to put out a few for sale. I would not expect this for a while as I still need to learn how to work it properly. This would be a good leaning experience.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are super simple in design and operation. Nothing like an M62 or egads, an M936. Smaller and at only 20,000# they don't rut soft yards like a 5 ton wrecker. Deuce platform is easy to maintain and less costly. I love the utilitarian nature of mine and will sorely miss it when it's gone.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just wish mine ran! New engine for it is sitting about 20 feet away from it.... Just need to find the time to install it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck, I'm sorry to hear about your wife. I'll let everyone else comment about the truck.

steve

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
They are super simple in design and operation. Nothing like an M62 or egads, an M936. Smaller and at only 20,000# they don't rut soft yards like a 5 ton wrecker. Deuce platform is easy to maintain and less costly. I love the utilitarian nature of mine and will sorely miss it when it's gone.
WHats your 108 selling for Kenny? Maybe Chuck could buy it and "keep it in the family".;-)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm closing in on a deal to swap it for an M1010 ambulance with chevyc60. If that falls through I'll consider a cash sale. My reasons for the swap with Roy is 2 fold. I get the ambulance I want and the M108 will only be a couple of miles away should I need a lift.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks