• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need LMTV assistance in Fairbanks, Alaska

snowtrac nome

his is an a-1 I have located an axle on the west coast along with center sections only waiting for a call back from his gp rep to see if he needs a planetary or a center section if it is a center section it is likely a gear swap will happen at the same time.

coachgeo

XCRV....... your due to offer up many 6packs to all the folk helping you out from GP to locals and those far away. Kudo's to all those who have stepped up to assist instead of berating for taking on this challenge to drive from AK to Tn. Here is adding one from me:beer::beer::beer: (full 6 pack [thumbzup] ) as well.

Baradium

I talked with him, the 3rd shop looked up previous work orders they believe it is a reduction gear at the outer axle, also we know the short shaft side is holding because he can turn the yoke and watch the joint on the drivers side, but he needs an assistant to look at the passengers side. The strange part is he cant feel any back lash leading me to think there might be problems deeper in the axle.
I'll be stopping by there later today and will see what I can do.

Baradium

Baradium: Pickup date moved to May 18th. We'll likely spend the summer in Alaska and plan to stay in Fairbanks as long as needed. My sister-in-law just graduated from MTSU. We've used their RV park.

BKubu: We were full-time RVers for ten years. Sold our previous motorhome last summer. This will be our next full-time rig. "Home is where the jacks are down!" (No jacks on a LMTV but that's a FT RVer's expression.)
I'll be in town the 18th if there's anything I can do. I can also offer a place to leave it if it ends up needing to sit at some point.

Baradium

So I think the center section is ok, I see a slight bit of movement in the driver's side axle shaft as it takes up whatever slack is on that side when turning the input. Passenger side, as stated previously, spins freely so the problem is from that u-joint outboard.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be the knuckle u joint. Parts I would want on hand not knowing what I'm getting into would be.
a spindle, axle shafts, a full hub, seals, and a bunch of gear oil. When a hub gernades puts a lot of broken metal and maybe damaging the parts listed. Could have been caused by improper setup by a tech, people have found missing parts in hubs on auction trucks. Lots of slop in a hub could be as simple as someone forgot to put the thrust bearing race on hub cap/cover.

snowtrac nome

it was the spiders in the hub the thrust bearing was gone and the spider carrier has worn into the housing eating up the gears in the outside ring. they were able to source some new parts. I suggested they walk over the maintenance facility and offer up to one of the guys there a case of beer for a shim pack set

XCRV

Looking for a front differential yoke. Would my 2000 M1079A1 use the same part number as below? Anybody know a civilian cross-reference?

Item, SMR code, CAGE C, Part Number, Description and Usable On Code (UOC):
20 KFFZZ 78500 A-3260-G-111 YOKE, UNIVERSAL JOIN INTERMEDIATE 1
from TM 9-2320-365-24P (M1078 series, dated August 2005), Section II, page 133-1 (PDF page 385)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks