• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need M939 series front axle u bolts

jamescripps

I just bought a M925A1. It has two broken U bolts that hold the front axle to the spring assembly. They are about 1" diameter x about 16-17 inches long. It is not urgent but they need to be replaced. I am hoping to find new u bolts but could settle for good used with nuts.

I think they were broken with toe motor forks in moving the vehicle around before auction. If someone knows where I might obtain 2 u bolts please let me know.

Thanks

86m1028

Inland truck parts or other such parts companies will make them for you.
You shouldn't reuse ubolts, they are too cheap to risk it.

86m1028

Shops like that keep different lengths in stock & bend them to your specs while you wait.
Ive had this done numerious times for all different vehicles & trailers @ Inland truck parts.

Id personally replace all 4 up frt at the same time.

Edit: might want to check all your brake hardware & hoses for damage also.

Last edited:

Chaski

+1 on getting them locally. Just call around until you find a truck parts store with a U-bolt machine. Take one of your old ones in and walk out with new ones.

If you are totally set on ordering some I can get them for you, a friend of mine has a u-bolt machine. But by the time you pay him retail on the u-bolts, give me some cash for packing, shipping and beer you would be better off local. I wouldn't be speedy, since I can only get to his shop on Fridays. I would need to know exact diameter of the rod, and the width of tube the u-bolt has to go over (inner width... the distance between the two parallel rods of the u-bolt and if the "u" is square or half round. Also need minimum desired length measured from the inside of the "U" to the tip of the threads.

jamescripps

We have a spring company locally, I will try them if I can't find them off the shelf.

I also bought the M1061A1 trailer. I plan on loading my M151A1 jeep on the trailer behind the 5 ton for parades. I will be needing a set of ramps. I may end up fabricating the ramps.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a spring company locally, I will try them if I can't find them off the shelf.

I also bought the M1061A1 trailer. I plan on loading my M151A1 jeep on the trailer behind the 5 ton for parades. I will be needing a set of ramps. I may end up fabricating the ramps.
Take 1 of the good ones to the spring shop , most likely they will make a set while you wait if they don't have them on the shelf.

Chaski

IMG_1530.JPG

This is picture should help out.

There has to be a place closer to you, but custom springs inc in Memphis can do them for sure.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HE can take a bad one too, just add the amount he needs.

Any local spring shop should be able to help in minutes.

Too bad this is a classifieds ad, and it will be deleted.

Conversations go in the forums, needs for parts for in the classifieds.

86m1028

Just trying to HELP the guy out.
Guess we can't do that unless it's in the RIGHT forum.

So instead of deleting it, Why not put it in the "correct" forum, so others might learn from it.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I just bought a M925A1. It has two broken U bolts that hold the front axle to the spring assembly. They are about 1" diameter x about 16-17 inches long. It is not urgent but they need to be replaced. I am hoping to find new u bolts but could settle for good used with nuts.

I think they were broken with toe motor forks in moving the vehicle around before auction. If someone knows where I might obtain 2 u bolts please let me know.

Thanks
Nashville spring service is going to be your closest place. Or call Memphis equipment and talk to Ed.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

jamescripps

I am familiar with Nashville Spring. I will give them a call tomorrow morning. I have new halogen headlights ordered from Those Military Guys as I have one burned out. Other than that all the old gal needs is a new either button on the dash, or that one repaired, seems like maybe a spring broken behind the button or something like that. The button is just loose and will not return to the pre pushed position. I have not gotten the chance to check it out yet.

I am new to the 5 tons, I have owned a M151-A1 since 2009 and I joined the Steel Soldiers forum in 2009. I am a 100% disabled veteran of the Vietnam era and I really do like military rolling stock. I need to figure out how to post pictures on the forum.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved to forums, since we're still using this as a discussion post.

86m1028

I am familiar with Nashville Spring. I will give them a call tomorrow morning. I have new halogen headlights ordered from Those Military Guys as I have one burned out. Other than that all the old gal needs is a new either button on the dash, or that one repaired, seems like maybe a spring broken behind the button or something like that. The button is just loose and will not return to the pre pushed position. I have not gotten the chance to check it out yet.

I am new to the 5 tons, I have owned a M151-A1 since 2009 and I joined the Steel Soldiers forum in 2009. I am a 100% disabled veteran of the Vietnam era and I really do like military rolling stock. I need to figure out how to post pictures on the forum.
Welcome to the 5 ton club !
Thank you for your service.
We want pics & post up your experience with the new lights.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

I am in Memphis if you need any help. JHarvey is in Dover, TN and TNRiverJet is in west Nashville.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
First, WELCOME BROTHER,

The front axle U-bolts are the same for the 39 , 809, and 939 series 5ts

jamescripps

Glad to know you guys. I am from West Nashville, in the nations and I also have a place on the Tennessee River. I now live thirty miles west of Nashville in Ashland City. We had our first annual Veterans Day parade this past Veterans Day in 2016. I enjoy that kind of stuff and I am gearing up for the next one. It turned out to be the largest parade ever seen in Ashland City Tn. to date. We are looking for support for the next one if anyone would like to participate with their MV. We only had three MVs in the parade including my M151-A1. We had many other decorated civilian vehicles to show up along with motorcycles and 22 Polaris RZRs. Next years date has not been nailed down yet. Last year it was held on the Sunday before Veterans Day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks