• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Mechanic in No. Georgia to repair brakes on M35a2

oddshot

I am looking for a mechanic in North Georgia (Pickens County) who would be willing to travel to my home, inspect, adjust and bleed my brakes to diagnose no pedal after sitting for abut 3 years, and possibly rebuild the airpack or master cylinder as required. My thinking is it is probably the airpack because the brakes worked fine when the truck was last driven. I have gotten under the truck and see no sign of a leak, and the master cylinder is empty.

I have all of the tools required (including pneumatics and air compressor), jack and stands for this work ... except a power bleeder. I have the parts to build a power bleeder and install a remote reservoir, but can not do the work to put it together just now.

About 3 years ago I had rotator cuffs in both shoulders done and about the same time, I noticed that my fingers were not working correctly, they would lock on straightening, go "over center" when straight and then lock. I could force them to bend, but they would release with a snap and a jump. After a number of doctors looked them over, I learned that after 50 years of hard use as a mechanic, I had developed both Swan Neck Deformity in all of the fingers on my right hand and most of them on the left, and also messed up the tendons where they pass over the knuckles.

My first surgery was 11 Jan. Because of my age (73) and the condition of my hands, the Doc did one finger joint and knuckle on my right hand to see how it healed and it did pretty good. Two weeks ago they did the other 3 fingers. Its going to be another 10 weeks before I'm out of the cast, and more healing time before I can do much work. Then we start on the left hand. I am not sure how long this will take, or how strong my hands will be after.

In any event, my truck has been sitting all this time.

I'd like to get the brakes repaired. Also, my truck uses quite a bit of oil. My thinking is that I may have a bad turbo seal, but cannot to the work to diagnose this, so I would need this done as well ... and possibly need the turbo rebuilt/replaced.

I will pay in cash for the work and pay for travel time. Please PM me with recommendations of someone who can do this work, or if you are interested yourself.

When the work is done I have a feeling I am probably going to be putting my beloved truck up for sale. Without PS these trucks are built for 18 year old shoulders. I've read about doing PS mods, but at 73 its a bit more work than I care to take on.

No ... it is NOT "Trigger Finger". Trigger finger is relatively easy to fix. THIS is Swan Neck Deformity. Not a tough job, but the outcome can be iffy. The tough repair is the knuckle.:

swan-neck-2876569133.jpg

Last edited:

oddshot

I re-read the above post, and if it sounds like I'm whining and crying up there ... I ain't. I'm just telling why I can't do the work I know how to do.

For me, the word "sympathy" lies in the dictionary somewheres between "shxt" and syphilis" and no way do I need ANY of them. I'm just looking for for a guy who can spin a wrench for money because right now I can't.

There was an old Country and Western song back in the day talking about "If Ida know I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself"

For me the second line tells the whole damn story, "too much wine, women and song have taken their toll on my health".

I can't remember the real title or who sang it, if I do ... I'll post it.

And no more dang frowny faces. I flat TORE IT UP back in the day and its a wonder I haven't wore holes clean through various parts of my body. I will go into the ground with a BIG ol' smile on my face.

I had these old fingers into things you wouldn't believe and the the hands even made me a little money back then so I ain't crying!

If you know a Deuce mechanic, if you are one yourself, or if you know of a way I can get this done, I'd like to hear whatever you got.

Last edited:

oddshot

I suppose some will like to include all this into "Costs of Owning a Deuce".

I bought my truck 13 years ago when I was turning 60 and still as spry as a baby goat.

Back then my truck went from this:

Ted's New Truck.JPG

to this:

Henry.JPG

in less than 2 months all by my self in the comfort and privacy of my back yard using a one ton chain hoist and a Harbor Freight engine hoist to lift and hold things I couldn't. With NO magnetic base drill neither!

LINES OUT.jpg

Back then, I thought we both were tough enough to go on almost forever.

I guess a prospective owner would be wise to factor in rotator cuffs, tore up hands and the possibility of a failed airpac.

Redleg130

I have had good luck with agriculture focused shops being interested in working on my trucks. There is also a mobile mechanic named Aven that hangs around the M35 facebook page that will work on stuff. I think he is out of Texas. I have not used him since I found an ag shop with an old motor Seargent that does good work and is local, but the facebook guy seems knowledgeable. I dont want to give out his number, but if you cant get ahold of him on FB, I can relay contact info to him if you like?

I bet if you call some local shops, you will find someone that finds these trucks interesting, even though most will likely say flat no.

oddshot

I enlisted the help from a young man I know from Church. He's a carpenter and knows nothing about motor vehicles. I told him it wouldn't matter and I could talk him through everything. I call him Soldier C 1/2.

We were able to inspect the brakes for leaks and adjust the brakes. The first 2 wheels was kind of slow, but he caught on and the rest went quicker. He did a really fine job.

The brakes weren't really all that far out of adjustment, just a couple thou. was all. The shoes are in VERY good shape and none of the wheel cylinders are leaking ... not a drop.

My young friend had to stop at noon and take care of family stuff, so we didn't get to build my power bleeder and bleed the brakes.

In truth, I really don't think it makes a difference. With NO LEAKS ANYWHERE, all that fluid had to go SOMEWHERE ... and I think its all in the airpac.

I have read that a couple guys freed theirs up with a couple of wacks with a big hammer . I figured I have nothing to lose and gave mine a couple shots using my left hand. No change.

Even with me standing alongside Soldier C1/2 I really don't like the idea of him doing the rebuild ... and I am a lot more than a month from doing it myself.

Before I order one up, I figure I'd ask for some opinions just to check my thinking.

There are NO fluid leaks anywhere. The brakes were NOT really all that far out of adjustment.

I'm thinking that, given the symptoms, the results of the inspection and adjustment, it can't be anything BUT the air pac.

What do you guys think?

Even if I don't get any reply's, I'm ordering one up by the end of the day.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I enlisted the help from a young man I know from Church. He's a carpenter and knows nothing about motor vehicles. I told him it wouldn't matter and I could talk him through everything. I call him Soldier C 1/2.

We were able to inspect the brakes for leaks and adjust the brakes. The first 2 wheels was kind of slow, but he caught on and the rest went quicker. He did a really fine job.

The brakes weren't really all that far out of adjustment, just a couple thou. was all. The shoes are in VERY good shape and none of the wheel cylinders are leaking ... not a drop.

My young friend had to stop at noon and take care of family stuff, so we didn't get to build my power bleeder and bleed the brakes.

In truth, I really don't think it makes a difference. With NO LEAKS ANYWHERE, all that fluid had to go SOMEWHERE ... and I think its all in the airpac.

I have read that a couple guys freed theirs up with a couple of wacks with a big hammer . I figured I have nothing to lose and gave mine a couple shots using my left hand. No change.

Even with me standing alongside Soldier C1/2 I really don't like the idea of him doing the rebuild ... and I am a lot more than a month from doing it myself.

Before I order one up, I figure I'd ask for some opinions just to check my thinking.

There are NO fluid leaks anywhere. The brakes were NOT really all that far out of adjustment.

I'm thinking that, given the symptoms, the results of the inspection and adjustment, it can't be anything BUT the air pac.

What do you guys think?

Even if I don't get any reply's, I'm ordering one up by the end of the day.
If you have no leaks - and the master cylinder is full - and the brakes don't work, then yes the airpac is where your problem most likely is. You might also be sure to verify that you have vacuum going to the air pac. And that there is no holes in the hose...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks