• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need muffler for M939/M944A1.

Mark3395

Well, I got the M944 home from Rock Island and am now unlading, cleaning, and doing the odd repairs.

Muffer is rusted out despite the cap at the end of the pipe. Does anybody know a commercial part number for that muffler?

I drove the truck to my shop. Has less than 2k miles on it. Need to clean the lathe up, but it's virtually new. Air pressure holds at 120 on both gages, but the low air pressure warning and light won't go out. Don't know enough about this truck yet. Has 4 draincocks for air tanks, and one doesn't apparently vent air. Maybe that's the source of the warning.

Drive fine though, great brakes, speed, and smooth engine. Had it inspected and serviced at a truck shop beefore driving it the 30 miles to my shop. Worst part was replacing 5 flat tires.

But5 it's need pulling out all the stuff that cam with it. Biggest problem is that it came with all the canvas, but none of the poles to set it up.

Is anybody starting a parts interchange list for the 939 series yet?

Tx.

Mark

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark,
There is a low air sensor on the end of the air tanks right behind the passenger side toolbox/step (I believe there are two of them, one for the primary and one for the secondary air system). You will see a wire coming into the sensor. This is your problem.

The mufflers are getting scarce. I am sure the big dealers have them, but guys like Winslow don't. Check with Dave Newman at Eastern Surplus. A new muffler is not going to be cheap. Owning an M939 series truck is not like owning a deuce from a parts-cost perspective. Get ready to work out your wallet. That is one drawback from owning one of the trucks. I have learned that the hard way over the last decade.

Bruce

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my fire depts 939 we replaced the muffler with one from a truck parts store I do not remember the part number but I measured the one on the truck and they matching it close you would have to look close to see its not OEM I did weld flanged on it so it clamped on with the original clamps. Good luck

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen civvy mufflers that worked, but none (that I have seen...small sample size) that fit behind the heat shield. If you want your truck stock, you are probably stuck trying to find the right muffler. If you just want a muffler, you definitely can find a civilian muffler because I had one on my old M932A2.

halftrack

Is anybody starting a parts interchange list for the 939 series yet?

Tx.

Mark
I have along with Chris. Its just filter numbers right now, but I will be adding belt numbers, pulley numbers, and air valves, which all can be bought at your local heavy duty truck parts store. The more and more I dig in finding parts, the more I realized they used off the shelf civy parts.

Mark3395

Thanks for the good word Bkubu. I'll check the leads out.

Skid, the poles I'm talking about are different than cargo bows. They're used to hold the 4 big canvas pieces that form a tent around the van, and are normally stored on the roof of the van. They're missing and I guess I'll have to copy some. Thanks for thinking of looking though.

I guess I'll try first to find the OEM muffler. I'll call Eastern.

If I learn of any part numbers I'll provide them to you halftrack. I believe I need belts immediately.

Thanks guys.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks