• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need new bullgear. Mine has been apparently been sitting in water at some point.

thordehr

I'm not sure if I should put this in the deuce or drivetrain section. I removed my center section to change out a side gear and found past evidence of water sitting in the housing for what must have been an extended period of time and some pitting on the bullgear. It runs smoothly and there is no chipping but I put a lot of strain on this axle and should have a non corroded part in there.

Or should I worry about it at all?

Here's what might be the part number:

Here's the pitting. I've been running it without any problem but only now have seen the pitting when I pulled the third member:

Anyone have a spare one or one to sell? Also, I should be able to replace just this gear without replacing the gear that's in the housing? It's in good condition but I imagine that it might be wear matched to the existing bull gear, or should I not worry about that if I get a new gear?

Thanks all.

rustystud

I'm not sure if I should put this in the deuce or drivetrain section. I removed my center section to change out a side gear and found past evidence of water sitting in the housing for what must have been an extended period of time and some pitting on the bullgear. It runs smoothly and there is no chipping but I put a lot of strain on this axle and should have a non corroded part in there.

Or should I worry about it at all?

Here's what might be the part number:

Here's the pitting. I've been running it without any problem but only now have seen the pitting when I pulled the third member:

Anyone have a spare one or one to sell? Also, I should be able to replace just this gear without replacing the gear that's in the housing? It's in good condition but I imagine that it might be wear matched to the existing bull gear, or should I not worry about that if I get a new gear?

Thanks all.
That is not bad at all. In fact that happens normally just by sitting. The differentials attract moisture just like any large metal object, and when they are not driven on a normal basis the oil drains off the parts and rust develops. When you start using the truck again the rust is worn off but it leaves these little worn pockets. If you where to go to a wrecking yard and pull-off the diff covers of some cars that have been sitting there for more then 5 years you will see this. So put it back together and run it like you stole it ! The worst thing you can do to any piece of equipment is NOT use it !