• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need new drivers window on m35a3

Coalman

Ok I am finaly getting the bugs worked out Today I opened the window and it would not go back up so I pulled and turned at the same time and the glass cracked Anybody tell me a good spot to get one I saw a new one online for about $135 I was hoping to find one cheaper While I am at it I would like to replace both winshield glasses also Thanks Kevin

ApopkaFL

Banned
Just take it to local glass shop and have them cut a new glass for it. Thats what I did.... There is two screws at the bottom once you remove the window and the frame will come apart.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just take it to local glass shop and have them cut a new glass for it. Thats what I did.... There is two screws at the bottom once you remove the window and the frame will come apart.
That definitely is an option. I have done that before. But, the frame might be rusty inside as water sits in there even if they are recent. The glass shop (assuming it is an auto glass shop) should have the new rubber seals (it is a pain in the a** getting the glass back in with the seals. They want to kink and bunch up...at least that was my experience). You have to weigh all that against the cost of buying new ones. They are getting pricey, no doubt about that. However, in the recent past, I have paid $100-150 per windshield for NOS. What APOPKA suggests still probably will be cheaper, assuming your frames themselves are in decent shape.

3dAngus

Someone on here had square glass to fit. It might have been a plastic type of front window, I forget, but the price was reasonable. It might have been Wreckerman. I would PM him, or use (arrrrgggghhh) the search engine.

Doesn't "SS" stand for "Search Sucks"?

ApopkaFL

Banned
To be honest the window I had made is broken again. Same thing happen to me track got all caught up and it cracked my new window. So now I am going to get Plexiglas in it.. I always roll with the windows down anyway...

Prankster

I worked as a glassier: twice.
Never place a sheet of glass on metal, or cement.
My boss used small rubber blocks in a frame: some people like the wooden ones.
Personally, I like using cigarette Butts. They are much softer, and absorb much more shock.
A bead of silicone is great if the entire inside of the channel is well coated as long as it is kept even.
If you are looking for perfection, apply one coating, and let it dry, apply another coat, and install the glass while it is still wet.
Vibration, and shock is your worst problem.
This is in case you want to do it yourself.
I will be doing a windshield soon myself.
If I get it wrong, and mess it up, I will need to buy another one too!

As for plexiglass, I recommend against it!!!
I'm sure it is against the Law.
A sharp piece of plexiglass can cut you much worst than a piece of glass.
Laminated safety glass is a must for windshields.
Temper glass is used for the rest of the vehicle.

You can temper regular plate glass yourself but it is not that hard.
First you will need to sand all the edges, and corners with a belt sander to round them to make them smooth.
Place some thumb tacks so they support the glass within 1/8" of the outer edges.
Place in the oven, and heat it to 350 F
I think one hour will be sufficient.
Look for dimple marks where the tips of the thumb tacks touch the glass.

This is all I can remember off hand.
You could search out "How To" on the internet. I'm sure they have the best way to temper glass.

I have seen where the Sun has tempered 1/2" plate glass when it has been left out over two years.

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saturn Surplus used to sell windows for under $50. Don't know if they still have any.

CobraCDR

This may be a dumb question because I've never broken one, but did the military use 'safety glass' for these? The only one's I have broken or damaged were the ballistic windows, never broken one of the regular ones.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had the same situation. Found a parts truck and bought the whole door and changed the doors, much easier than replacing the window.

Vintage iron

I have been a glazing for 10 years and I say, just take the whole window down to your Glass company. They will replace the glass and seal up the metal frame. leave glazing up to the glaziers. They have the tools and the materials to make it work Or go buy another one. I say get a price to fix it first!

I could tell you how to fix it but, then I would have to kill you! :)

hilber

i have been a glazing for 10 years and i say, just take the whole window down to your glass company. They will replace the glass and seal up the metal frame. Leave glazing up to the glaziers. They have the tools and the materials to make it work or go buy another one. I say get a price to fix it first!

I could tell you how to fix it but, then i would have to kill you! :)
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, lol:p

jimmcld

The glass that came in the trucks is just laminated glass. If it were tempered, it would break into a thousand pieces instead of cracking. Your local glass company can cut you a piece of laminated glass and then all you have to do is take the frame apart and replace the broken glass. Someone else was right, don't let the glass come into contact with the metal frame. It needs the rubber around it to protect it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks