• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Part: IP Pump Hydraulic Head Ring Clip needed to hold button on rod

jhooah

Would anyone have a good ring clip (part number 01843-RG902 ) It's a small ring with three end clips that holds the button on the bottom of the Hydraulic Head. My Deuce stropped running, got her started ran home, she died again, and would not bleed fuel to the lines. We finally (6 Months later due to other projects like building the new garage) got around to troubleshooting, and upon pulling the HH, I found the clip bent over with two end tips missing off the clip, and the button in the bottom of the IP well where the HH goes.

Instead of pulling apart the entire HH, to work on the pump rod, I really think it just needs the darned clip.

A .10 cent part kills a truck :cry:

If someone had a button as well, (PN:01843-BO901)I'm positive they are made to be replaced to keep the proper flow going, etc. There's a machined groove in the middle of mine that looks to be a wear groove similar (but opposite design) to a tire wear bar. This groove is likely supposed to be measured and replaced if the 'line' is under a certain length. Mine seems to be about 1/8" to 3/32" long. (I did not measure it in the minimal light I had, and I don't have photo's to post at this point due to the Hurricane knocking power out for the past 5 (so far) days :mad:)

County wanted a High Water rescue vehicle and that's what drove us to finally get around to trying to fix her.

Please let me know if there's a source for these, else wise it's destroy a good pump for that little part (when I can find the pump in all this confusion going on...)
V/R W. Winget
Virginia

www.VMPA.US

Looking forward to it running :driver: for this event:
The VWM MILITARY VEHICLE AND MILITARIA SHOW, Sept 17/18th - 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Sat, 10:00-4:00 PM Sun, Virginia War Museum at Huntington Park, 9285 Warwick Blvd. in Newport News, VA. (Next to James River Bridge) Rare and historic Military Vehicles & Militaria dealers will be selling, trading & buying all variety of military collectibles ranging from uniforms, insignia, firearms, field gear, ammo, parts to weapons - all countries & eras from the Civil War to Desert Storm! Admission: FREE!

jhooah

For those that may follow the HH internal parts discussion, I found AMBAC sells the clips (maybe) for $1.02 part number RG902 (again maybe) so I ordered Two of them to see if they are correct. They list a "button as BO903 (not BO901 as per the manual) but then the button has no associated price and is likely not in stock.

AMBAC's web site: https://store.webstorepackage.com/ambac/virtualweb/default.asp

They apparently took over BOSCH and several other manufacturers.
Hoping this will work, I tried to look up a plunger (one of the main problems Deuce owners will have down the line) but no luck cross referenceing the part number I had, so if someone :drool: had a true military parts number book on the HH internal parts that might come in handy. (unlike the photo that states "non-supply items" in the header)

$12 shipping for a part that weighs about as much as a postage stamp...oh well, hope it works.

V/R W. Winget
www.vmpa.us

jhooah

AMBAC actually called me...:-D Said they have the Button for $50, and the BO903 fits in place of the BO901 (Nice lady checked with a gentleman that had worked there as long as the Deuce has been made....) To add to this she covered the cost of shipping if I went ahead and bought the button... So I theoretically have two retainers and a button coming from AMBAC for around $40. Now if this works, that's going to be a NEW, correct length stoke on the fuel and likely increase my performance, so I may have to retard the fuel setting down the line (just thinking it through)
Or it could all be a bust, but I CAN state the Company was very cooperative and helpful, and it was very nice to see that type service for a $2.00 purchase I had made...

Deuce might be up by the weekend YAAHOO!:-D

V/R W. Winget

jhooah

Well long story short they sent the correct parts which arrived the next day. I installed them to no avail, as the shaft had actually frozen on the fuel shutoff block and this subsequently broke the little yoke clip that ensures the shaft turns (broken in 4 parts). I installed another IP HH from a donor deuce and she fired right up. Now to contact AMBAC and get the parts to rebuild the old one just for a spare.
V/R W Winget

jhooah

And as a FINAL follow-up to this...After tracking down the guide PN GU404360 (the little two eared yoke that the gear drives to spin the plunger as the cam drives it up and down) and calling AMBAC to find out it was only $8.43 for the part, I started discussing it with their pump guy... I was curious about the plunger and sleeve, which were not available seperately as they are fitted TO the HH. And get this, they are polished to the 10 micron level.... So if you can polish with valve lapping compuond and use an air guage to check the fit, then you may succeed in getting the plunger to plunge up and down again, and possibly not have fuel leak past it when pumping, thereby filling your crankcase with fuel....

In otherwords, he would sell me 50 of them at a GREAT deal (about $800 each) but he could sell the entire pump for around that as well. I think I saw the Chinese copy of these going for around $400 but as I have an old deuce injector pump set up already I'll forego further adventures in Pump hunting.

Bottom Line...keep your fuel clean, add an addative!! ( they even sell it, not sure what type) and save any old injector pump you happen to come across for that Hydraulic Head....even if you see one headed to the scrap yard, the pump head should be pulled and saved... IMHO
V/R W Winget

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were you ever able to find drawings and specs for the HH? I intend to try
to clean up guts of my old one and use it for a spare.

Do you have one of the clips or know where to get one or two?

Thanks for the help,
Orren

jhooah

That last thread had all the info I had. You can buy the clips (rotator piece) for around 9 dollars, but it won't do you much good unless you can polish the rod down and check it with a gauge. So replacing the clip (it's really a flat shear pin if you think of it) will merely be buying you a few more minutes? of turning the frozen IP pump rod. Yes, some will polish it down with emery cloth and drive on I'm certain, but the cahnces of filling the crank case up with fuel increase dramatically as it will pump past the irregularities of the rods.
V/R Winget
PS: Wish I had one too just to re-assemble my IP head for an emergency piece. I figure just cleaning it (the rod) would buy me a week of moving it around till I found a replacement perhaps. Try ordering a few from the company. WAW

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm picking up this "blog" from the thread about STUCK FUEL SHUT-OFF RODs...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...o-remove-the-Fuel-Shutoff-Rod-on-the-IP/page3

For the first Chapter of our situation, follow that thread's recent posts.

Here's an overview...

Following a rather sudden NO START condition - Deuce had been parked just a few days - I pursued replacing the primary fuel filter, opening and inspecting/cleaning then disassembling and reassembling the Fuel Shut-Off cover and mechanism. All of those checked out. In the process, a new Air Filter was also installed.
With gimpyrobb's phone-assistance (thank God he doesn't have "one of those" customer service accents) I am now pursuing the possibility of the BUTTON having fallen off the HH rod.

I first removed the cab heater box for easier access to the HH and pressure lines to the injectors. (We keep the soft top OFF the Deuce all year round, so a heater is sort of useless anyway.)
Then, all six injector lines were removed from the top of the HH.

Then, I hit a ROAD BLOCK !
I'm currently a bit handicapped and have difficulty seeing. I have always had one weak eye and one dominant one. In recent months I have grown a CATARACT in my "good" right eye and cannot focus we on fine details. My left eye has always been just a back-up and not able to help on this project. (Cataract is residual symptom of my having had SHINGLES two years ago. Since I got over that QUICKLY the Eye Doc thinks the Cataract may also "heal itself", so not surgery planned at this time.)
HENCE...
I must wait for Soldier B to return from her weekend seminar/retreat before continuing.

So, I'm stopped at the point of lining up the marks inside the Fuel Shut-Off Cover on the gear & housing which will allow the HH to be lifted off the body. This is NOT a one-man-job anyway since turning the engine crank by rotating the transmission output shaft does not allow you to simultaneously LOOK inside the little window on the side of the HH. (Can't be in two places at one time.)

Stay tuned for this continuing saga....

rustystud

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...o-remove-the-Fuel-Shutoff-Rod-on-the-IP/page3

Here's an overview...

Following a rather sudden NO START condition - Deuce had been parked just a few days - I pursued replacing the primary fuel filter, opening and inspecting/cleaning then disassembling and reassembling the Fuel Shut-Off cover and mechanism. All of those checked out. In the process, a new Air Filter was also installed.
With gimpyrobb's phone-assistance (thank God he doesn't have "one of those" customer service accents) I am now pursuing the possibility of the BUTTON having fallen off the HH rod.

I first removed the cab heater box for easier access to the HH and pressure lines to the injectors. (We keep the soft top OFF the Deuce all year round, so a heater is sort of useless anyway.)

I'm currently a bit handicapped and have difficulty seeing. I have always had one weak eye and one dominant one. In recent months I have grown a CATARACT in my "good" right eye and cannot focus we on fine details. My left eye has always been just a back-up and not able to help on this project. (Cataract is residual symptom of my having had SHINGLES two years ago. Since I got over that QUICKLY the Eye Doc thinks the Cataract may also "heal itself", so not surgery planned at this time.)
HENCE...
I must wait for Soldier B to return from her weekend seminar/retreat before continuing.

So, I'm stopped at the point of lining up the marks inside the Fuel Shut-Off Cover on the gear & housing which will allow the HH to be lifted off the body. This is NOT a one-man-job anyway since turning the engine crank by rotating the transmission output shaft does not allow you to simultaneously LOOK inside the little window on the side of the HH. (Can't be in two places at one time.)

I know about having cataracts. I had over 100 cortisone injections over a ten year period. Two weeks after the last two injections I had problems seeing. Then I almost got into a terrible accident with my infant son as I could not see the stop lights on the car ahead of me (this was quite a few years a go now) . So I went in for a eye check-up. I was told I had stage 3 cataracts. I had perfect vision just 6 months prior so this was a shock to say the least ! Since it was due to the cortisone injections and job related L&I payed for the surgery. I now have to have readers to see up close but that is a small price to pay for my vision back ! Coldwarrior I have never heard of cataracts healing themselves. That sounds interesting to say the least. So all this just to say I feel your pain Coldwarrior !

Jakelc15

I was looking for an old HH in my garage to offer for a spare for someone but can't seem to find it. Which isn't new, can't seem to find a lot of things lately.
But I did find a set of multi fuel injector nozzles that are suppose to be bigger than stock. They may just be LDS nozzles but I have nothing to compare them to anymore. Also found the tin to the top of the pump.
Already gone to another SS member!

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know about having cataracts. I had over 100 cortisone injections over a ten year period. Two weeks after the last two injections I had problems seeing. Then I almost got into a terrible accident with my infant son as I could not see the stop lights on the car ahead of me (this was quite a few years a go now) . So I went in for a eye check-up. I was told I had stage 3 cataracts. I had perfect vision just 6 months prior so this was a shock to say the least ! Since it was due to the cortisone injections and job related L&I payed for the surgery. I now have to have readers to see up close but that is a small price to pay for my vision back ! Coldwarrior I have never heard of cataracts healing themselves. That sounds interesting to say the least. So all this just to say I feel your pain Coldwarrior !

Not to hijack, but....

The human eye regenerates lens cells constantly. They grow from the edge of the lens and 'push' toward the center. It takes about 3-6 months to completely replace the lens. There are MANY difference things that cause cataracts. Since I had SHINGLES that started in that eye two years ago, and the Cataract has QUICKLY developed ONLY in that eye, the Doc thinks it's like residual "scarring" rather than being diet, or other "body function" related such as too much calcium etc.
Hence, we're hoping for a God-driven natural remedy. I am already seeing more clearly around the edges!!!

Update on the HH/Pump....
A new clip to hold the button onto the shaft will be sent via Priority Mail on Monday. I hope to have it in hand maybe Wednesday... Possibly in time for reassembly and Mission Execution on Thursday morning... Although we now have a 60% chance of thunder showers at the time of the event.
I'd rather cancel due to weather instead of equipment break-down.

So, today I rest.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Glad you posted about it, I almost forgot! Its addressed and on the end table waiting for me in the morning now though.

rustystud

Glad you posted about it, I almost forgot! Its addressed and on the end table waiting for me in the morning now though.
Hey Chris, your starting to get as forgetful as me ! You'll need to do what I do. I write down notes for myself and keep them on the countertop next to the garage door so I can remember to do what I was suppose to that day.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I write stuff down on a note program in my cell. It only works if you have time to stop and look at it. I've been battling an oil leak on my pickup and its decided to give me trouble with the PMD. I'm about ready to put a DB2 pump in it!

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Here's an overview...

HENCE...

Did you figure out why it wasn’t starting? I am running into the same issue and could use some advice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks