• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need radiator advice. Replace/upgrade

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a hole in the bucket dear liza....

I have a major leak in my radiator. If you remove the top plastic cover
and look down and to the right half way down just where the fins meet the
edge manafold.(Looks like wrinkled paper) I am supposing it is some kind
crimped connection. At any rate there seems to be a lot of rust on it so I
am guessing I am going to have to replace the radiator. If I have to I want to avoid getting the radiator from the local repair shop.

I was wondering if this wasn't the time to make a radiator upgrade if there
is such such a thing. I know you can add on a seperate cooler for the
transmission but I was wondering if there was something that combined the two.
I know there is a little part of the radiator for the transmission oil to pre warm it,
but I am talking about something in case I do some heavy towing or
steep grades.

So please give me your recomendations and possible sources hopefully
near the left coast.

Thanks,
Bruce

truck1

I had my 1028 recored with a`4 cell brass core.Cost 850$ here in San Anselmo @ my local shop. These radiators are the biggest Chevy offered in this GVWR rig and are expensive! I wanted to avoid other engine complications and forked out the dough for the cooling system. No problems since. Engine runs @ 180-190 constant temp. I tow a m101a2 ,boston whaler 17' and have never had problems with the tranny over heating or slipping.

reloader64

You could go with a standard replacement (about $350 on line, 5 or 6 years ago) and an aftermarket transmission cooler. Talk to your local transmission man for size requirements. You want the tranny fluid to go through your aftermarket cooler and then through the radiator, so the tranny doesn't run too cool.

Scott

Hasdrubal

$800 up here for a new 4-core rebuild. Guy was nice, let me have it for $600. Find a knowlegeable skilled guy to do the work. 2 years ago I re-cored it and the worksmanship was appalling, plus they only used a 2-core which isn't rigid enough for the large size. Had to do it all over.

magpul_556

About a year ago i purchased a brand new aluminum 3 row radiator from a company on ebay. I dont have the info on who the seller or maker was, but there are a few on there. I just searched 6.2 deisel radiator. I do know that it cost me $260 shipped. I didnt install it but according to my cucv guy it went in slick. It has lasted a year and 4500 miles. cant beat it.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to everyone for your help. I was really starting to get worried since
this is my daily driver and my other two trucks are in storage because this city is
....well you fill in the words.

I decided to get the aluminum radiator as was recomended. $212 including 2 day shipping.

I really appreciate the support here guys!
Bruce

bkwudzhom

I got an exact replacement from Advance. I wanna say it was $350ish. Part # is 432098
This is a good time to replace the belts if needed as well as the hoses. I replaced mine and kept the old ones as spares. I heard that the harmonic balancer can dry rot (after I did mine)..might wanna check yours while your at it. NAPA has the cut to fit rubber pieces that go under the seam on each side. Replace them. Be sure to go over your trans cooler hoses. This would be a great time to replace them if needed. I found that the hard lines that go across the rad were easier to remove if I unhooked the hoses at the fender well and pulled tthe rad out with tthe hard lines still attached to the rad and then reinstalled them the same way. A good system flush would be in order as well.

rivcrazy2000

I just replaced my radiator due to a gigantic hole, got the NAPA radiator 460$ list price and got it heavily discounted because I work for a state agency that has a large acct with them. Thing is wayy thicker than the stock one but it didn't hold no 25 quarts like it said, maybe 18. Glad you got something coming though, I never want to have to buy another one of these ****ed things so I got the lifetime warranty. Good luck with yours man!

fitz

Keep in mind you old radiator is worth good money at a recycling center.
I just turned in a 4 core rad from a big block k30 and got $52 for it.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would prefer the steel and copper radiator but I have a situation
here where I need to get my daily and only driver back running
before the end of the month and I am partly disabeled,

Thanks for all the help and advice from everyone and a special
thanks to cucvnut.

Bruce

whyknott2224

I got an exact replacement from Advance. I wanna say it was $350ish. Part # is 432098
This is a good time to replace the belts if needed as well as the hoses. I replaced mine and kept the old ones as spares. I heard that the harmonic balancer can dry rot (after I did mine)..might wanna check yours while your at it. NAPA has the cut to fit rubber pieces that go under the seam on each side. Replace them. Be sure to go over your trans cooler hoses. This would be a great time to replace them if needed. I found that the hard lines that go across the rad were easier to remove if I unhooked the hoses at the fender well and pulled tthe rad out with tthe hard lines still attached to the rad and then reinstalled them the same way. A good system flush would be in order as well.
That PN on Advanced shows the inlet and Outlet on different sides? My MF requires the inlet and Outlet on the right side...?

sneekyeye

I just put in a Napa radiator in my 1028 last weekend. The Napa part number was NR 2098. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NRS2098

The radiator pictured is not what you will get. What they are selling now is a 'Spectra Premium' radiator CU850 with aluminum core and plastic tanks, with a Napa label on the box. You can probably find a better deal on it from somewhere else if you want to take the chance on shipping damage and the possibility of that hassle. I posted a link to the amazon page for it.
https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-CU850-Complete-Radiator/dp/B000C7QIKW

That said, it went in pretty easily, and I had no trouble that others had with getting the trans lines and oil lines to fit in. I replaced the upper and lower mounts with these radiator pad insulators and they fit fine as well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0165G4QWU

For thoroughness, I also checked my harmonic balancer while I was in there, and saw the rubber pooching out a little bit on the front and a bunch of cracks on the back. I replaced it with the dorman 594-128 balancer. In my city, Autozone was 63 bucks while everyone else seemed to be around 85-100 bucks. Conventional wisdom says you need and puller and an installer tool, but I could not find an installer tool with 16x1.5mm threads in town. Turns out when i went to install it, is just slid right on with no trouble. You may or may not have the same luck.