• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need slave/jumper cables

motormayhem

can that slave connector handle that much current to jump start a dead vehicle!? I didn't see any wires in that bundle that looked anywhere near large enough!

if you jump a 12v car.. use the FRONT battery! bad things will happen if you use the back battery, and either of the wires touch the body ;)
Thats what the slave connector is for. However if it is now a 12v jump start and not the original 24v then the amps going through the wires is doubled.

joeypushjr1

the number 4 wire im using is good for 400 amps. more than enough to jump i completly dead battery in a car... your parts store jumper cables have the same if not smaller size wire...

appalacious

I've converted my truck to 12V. I've actually been thinking of reinstalling the 2nd alternator and only hooking it up to the nato plug, that way I can still jump my deuce if i need to.

I wonder if an alternator alone is robust enough to provide current to a jumped vehicle's starter. It wouldn't have a battery behind it.
J

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've converted my truck to 12V. I've actually been thinking of reinstalling the 2nd alternator and only hooking it up to the nato plug, that way I can still jump my deuce if i need to.

I wonder if an alternator alone is robust enough to provide current to a jumped vehicle's starter. It wouldn't have a battery behind it.
J

Why not convert your deuce to 12V, also?

Just kidding, You have finally realised why the government had them made the way they did! :doh:

Last edited:

joeypushjr1

i waas going to say you know everything on a deuce is 24v lights starter glow plugs there is no 12v anywhere.. lol that would be a hell of an under taking... and to add to the whole 2nd alt. to slave that is a question i dont know about i dont think it would be enought alone the amperage in the battery is what jumps the other battery /vehicle.... and alt sends voltage and less amperage to charge and maintain power. even if you get a 140amp alt thats all your going to get out of it.. and the average bat . cranks at 400-600 amps.. no where near enough . to turn over an engine...

appalacious

i waas going to say you know everything on a deuce is 24v lights starter glow plugs there is no 12v anywhere.. lol that would be a hell of an under taking... and to add to the whole 2nd alt. to slave that is a question i dont know about i dont think it would be enought alone the amperage in the battery is what jumps the other battery /vehicle.... and alt sends voltage and less amperage to charge and maintain power. even if you get a 140amp alt thats all your going to get out of it.. and the average bat . cranks at 400-600 amps.. no where near enough . to turn over an engine...
Yeah, I think I'd have to mount a car battery in there somewhere in parallel with the 2nd alternator. Thats as much trouble as converting it back to 24V though.

Did they ever make 24V glow plugs for the 6.2? I hate that resistor circuit.
J