• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some advice from the experienced D-max swap?

BoominSVX

So when I don't know something, I try to find a room full of people that do, ask them, and come to general decision. You boys might now the answers to these questions best. My girlfriend grew up in Maine. She's always been in love with the 85 chevy trucks. I have a fixation with the duramax engine... and a little one for her. So here's the deal. I have an 89 V3500 dump truck with a plow. It's a crew cab frame with a reg cab, tunnel box, and dump body. All 1 ton stuff. I also just picked up a 2006 Chevy express box truck with a duramax LBZ engine for 500 bucks. It has every part still in it, but they popped a tranny line and smoked the trans trying to move it. I plan to rebuild the 4L85E at the same time as swapping to a 4wd tailshaft. I found a passenger side drop NP241c T-case from a 90 suburban so it'll work with the chevy solid axles and the VSS. The box truck also came with a Dana 70S locking rearend (according to the sticker still on it with all the info) on 3.73 gears. Basically, I have an entire drivetrain for a swap minus the front axle.

THE FINAL PRODUCT: I'm looking to build her a truck. A mid to late 80's regular cab long bed. It'll be lifted some to clear a set of 37" tires (I won't go and bigger because things get sketchy on the highway) and may even use my Dana 70 and put fenders on the rear to make it a 4x4 dually reg cab duramax. The trans is weak, but I can build it. (Billet input and intermediate shafts with a billet forward clutch and 36 roller sprag) to take the heat. The final product has to have A/C, Gearing that will work for such a tire on a diesel with 800ft lbs of torque, and a full interior with floor carpet, fresh black paint throughout, a headliner, a radio, and maybe even power windows/locks. Do you guys see a benefit to starting out with a CUCV M1008 or M1028? Do they have a frame as strong as my 1 ton dump K30, or would I be better to shorten my frame and find a bed? Yes, a lot of work, but I'm up for a challenge and I'm dating a girl who's dream truck is an 85 Chevy. Gotta do something to keep her around. So whata ya think? I can look for trucks already missing the drivetrain. Buy a CUCV, cut up my plow truck (upgraded to a 6.5 with goodwrench engine and trans mated to NP205), or find a Chevy K20 or K30 somewhere? I thought the M1008 or M1028 would be better, but it seems the axles can still be an issue. I don't mind taking my time to find that perfect deal and the standalone harness for the LBZ drivetrain can be worked out in the meantime. How would you guys go about this? Any advice is appreciated, unless it's telling me something won't work. Everything can always be made to work. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

87J

First off let me say I'm jealous of your $500 Duramax purchase! I debated this swap but the cost deterred me so I am doing a 12v Cummins instead. Honestly I see no advantage to using a CUCV I believe the frames are identical to the K30 civilian trucks. Also if your looking to have AC and decent highway gears you'de be better off finding the exact truck you/she wants and doing the swap. I added AC to a truck before and unless you have a good donor truck it can be difficult to piece everything together. Regearing and axle swaps come with unforeseen issues too, in my experience its best to start out with a truck that GM already did most of the work for you 30 years ago. Good luck on the build just be careful, I did a partial restoration on a 84 chevy for a girlfriend years back we broke up
and she sold the truck along with all my blood sweat and tears...:burn:

MarcusOReallyus

The final product has to have A/C, Gearing that will work for such a tire on a diesel with 800ft lbs of torque, and a full interior with floor carpet, fresh black paint throughout, a headliner, a radio, and maybe even power windows/locks.
That's the deal breaker. The CUCV has none of that, and it's a whole lot of work to add it.

Do they have a frame as strong as my 1 ton dump K30

A CUCV is a 1984 K30 with a few military mods.

I'm up for a challenge and I'm dating a girl who's dream truck is an 85 Chevy. Gotta do something to keep her around.
If she needs a truck to stay around she's not worth having around, and she won't stay anyway. She'll find a higher bidder sooner or later.

Id probably find a civy truck to start with. More creature comforts in place, less to mod on the interior, thats probably the best bet.
Exactly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks