• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some advice-given am M35-but strings attached

wolfmangk

Ok, so there is this man in town that buys military stuff like crazy. He has a couple M35's, and I got to talking with him about one, and he said he'd sell it to me for $2,500 which is what he says he paid for it. Well, I talk to him more baout it, and he says if i am so in love with it, then I can just have it.

Right on, so I ask him for the paperwork for it, and he hands me a pinkslip for an international harvester dumptruck (That he owns). Well, i tell him that's not the tright pinkslip (lol). So he says he looked for the pinkslip, and couldn't find it (Or whatever he got when he bought it at the military auction, right?

Well i talked to him, and I want to tow it off of his property, 6 miles to where i am living. He says that is OK, we have to unload what's in the bed of it (It will require a forklift). I printed up a bill of sale for the truck... BUT...

I have no idea what year it was made, I have no idea who makes it, and all i have is the 9 digit number on the drivers side wheelwell. The dataplate has been removed from it and every other number painted over. What do I do with this bill of sale-is it even going to work with a military auction vehicle?

Any help is appreciated.

YOU NEED THE FORM SF-97, A BILL OF SALE, AND A DMV (OR AAA) INSPECTION IN ORDER TO REGISTER IT IN CA. YOU MAY BE ABLE TO GET AROUND THIS ONLY IF YOU CAN CLAIM YOU BUILT IT FROM PARTS AND FILL OUT AN AFFIDAVIT. IF YOU TELL THEM IT WAS FROM MILITARY AUCTION, THE DMV WILL GO TO THAT PAGE OF THE BOOK AND YOU WILL BE HOOKED INTO REQUIRING THE ABOVE SF-97. IT IS A TOUGH ROAD AHEAD IF YOU HAVE NO PAPERS, PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU GET AROUNG THE SF-97. ON THE OTHER HAND, IF YOU DO BUY FROM AUCTION, GETTING THE REQUIRED PAPERWORK IS SIMPLE, $60 TO GOVLIQUIDATION AND THEY WILL GIVE YOU THE REQUIRED PAPERS.

acetomatoco

The wheelwell number is probably 0525-12345 or similar. You need to get a bill of sale from him for the particular vin on the truck and a statement that the truck is free of liens and encumbrances... and it really is only worth a grand for parts without good paper. Be careful...it may not be his to sell or give away... alzheimers

nf6x

Feral Engineer
The number in the wheel well is generally the proper number to use as a VIN for registration, but there's no guarantee that if the truck was ever registered before, that was the number that was used (as opposed to the hood numbers, etc.), or that it was released from the government with that number on the SF97.

If you're 150% positive that the truck has never been titled before anywhere in the US, then running it through a title service and then registering it in CA shouldn't be too hard. However, without first-hand knowledge of the history of the truck since it left government ownership, you could be putting yourself in a risky situation. I'd be very, very cautious. If the truck can find its way to your yard with clean paperwork then it may well be worth that $2,500. However, without a clean paper trail, it might only be worth its parts/scrap value. Deuces are pretty common and cheap, so don't put yourself in a risky situation over one. There's another one out there with your name on it if this one doesn't have a clean paper trail.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
It's really not so bad here to register an MV, despite our thoroughly messed up laws in so many other areas. I've heard far worse horror stories about registration from folks in a few other pathologically messed up states. Even Arizona is worse than CA if you're a HMMWV owner in Maricopa county... which should be pretty danged embarrassing to Arizonians!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
wolfmangk, Where are you exactly in Ca? It's a big state, and if you're close, there are some places by me that can possibly help with your titling.

wolfmangk

I am in Lucerne Valley, CA. it is near Apple Valley and Victorville. Yucca Valley is 40 miles the opposite direction.

THE DMV PAPERWORK WILL REQUIRE A VIN VERIFICATION AND YOU WILL NEED TO SHOW THE DMV (OR AAA) WHERE IT IS, LIKE PREVIOUSLY NOTED, IT IS ON THE DRIVERS SIDE FRAME, CLEAN IT UP BEFORE TAKING IT FOR VERIFICATION. ON ANOTHER NOTE, YOU CAN TAKE THE VIN TO THE DMV AND ASK FOR A HISTORY. IF NONE....

I HAD A ISSUE A FEW YEARS AGO WHERE I WENT TO REGISTER A VEHICLE AND IT HAD BEEN OUT OF REGISTRATION SO LONG THE DMV HAD TO START A NEW TITLE. IT WAS SO EASY I WAS BLOWN AWAY. YOU JUST TELL A STORY ON AN AFFEVADAVIT, PROVIDE A BOS, ETC. NOW, IT HAD BEEN OUT OF REGISTRATION FOR 20 YEARS. YOU MAY BE ABLE TO DO THAT. BUT DONT TELL THEM IT IS A MILITARY VEHICLE AND TELL THEM IT WAS REGISTERED AND SAT ON A FARM FOR THE LAST 2O YEARS. THEN HAVE THE GUY SIGN A BOS AND GIVE IT A SHOT. BUT MAKE SURE IT IS NOT IN THE DMV SYSTEM WITH THE VIN ON THE FENDERWELL FIRST.

pfarber

Use a title service.. done all the time. Costs like $200 for service.

The less DMV has to help, the better. Some sates are ridiculously easy (AZ was one) other are ridiculously hard (CA).

Elwenil

Lower the caps please. It is considered screaming in 'net lingo.

Also, I would caution against using any sort of illegal (or "less than legal") method to register a vehicle. These things have a way to come back and bite you in the end and I look for private MVs to be getting more and more attention from the state and local law makers in the future that may raise a few problems if your registration isn't 100% legitimate.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
A benefit of using a registration service (this is not the same as a title service) to handle the registration, you get some benefits:

1) You don't go stand in line at the DMV.

2) They can do the VIN verification at your site, so the truck doesn't need to go to the DMV. This is especially handy if the truck isn't road-worthy.

I don't know about other states, but in CA the VIN verification for initial registration can be done by the DMV, by a peace officer, or by a licensed VIN verifier. I've found it more convenient to have the VIN verification done at my site, even I handle the rest of the registration myself.

SterlingDevelop

I write / receive memos in the office all the time, sometimes in all caps, sometimes all lower case. Nobody thinks we're "screaming"...........or whispering.
Why is it when it makes its way to a 'puter screen people get their panties in a wad and righteously pass out free nerd etiquette lessons?
I've heard that crap before. It's still crap. "Screaming" is by definition audible.

HEADLINE

"HeMan Drives Big Green MV, But Is Offended By Capital Letters"

SOUNDS PRETTY RIDICULOUS, DOESN'T IT????? :cookoo:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks