• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some advice with diagnosing a rear axlel oil/transmission leak on a M923

Sbrown777

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Hey guys, I'm new to the steel soldiers community and it's my first time posting on here so forgive me if I don't quite have the proper forum etiquette. I've looked through the TM's but I figured some of you might have had a similar problem and any advice is appreciated.

I recently purchased an M923 from a private party and it was rebuilt in 2007 by the RedRiver Army Depot. I drove it from San Antonio to Houston with no issues. Yesterday I started it up and drove it about 60 miles round trip on the highway and when I parked it back at the house I noticed a big leak coming from underneath the rear-middle axel/differential/transmission area. The leak was pretty substantial and hard to diagnose where it was coming from since everything appeared to be caked in oil. One thing I noticed was the oil had sprayed all around the area and even looked as though it had gotten flung up underneath the truck bed and was dripping from the bottom of the truck bed. There was even signs of spray on the tailgate from where the wind had carried it. My question is, any thoughts of what might have caused this? Are there seals in the differential or transmission area that are prone to leakage? I'll attach some pictures that show the area I'm talking about. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

ps. One more question from a military vehicle amateur: After driving my 923 for 60 miles on the highway on a hot day, when I parked the truck there was a hissing sound coming from the engine compartment. Upon inspection of the radiator area, there was a pin-hole sized valve that was venting a large volume of air out of the radiator itself after the truck was turned off. Is this normal? If so, what is it? Thanks.

Sbrown777

Thank you CSM Davis, are pinion seals pretty easy to obtain? Any vendors you recommend? Here is a picture of the device/part the air was shooting out of. The air was also very hot to the touch.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search for: "Rockwell 5 Ton Pinion Seal M809 M939 M54" on Ebay and you will see several options.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
BEFORE you tare into your truck, remove the axle vent, make sure it is working, if not replace it or install a vent tube system, this vent is the NUMBER ONE cause of axle, transfer case leeks. If when you pull the vent and here air escaping, that will be a good chance the cause of your leak. REMEMBER seals just do not leak for NO REASON, Fix the reason for the leak OR the leak WILL BE BACK.

dawico

BEFORE you tare into your truck, remove the axle vent, make sure it is working, if not replace it or install a vent tube system, this vent is the NUMBER ONE cause of axle, transfer case leeks. If when you pull the vent and here air escaping, that will be a good chance the cause of your leak. REMEMBER seals just do not leak for NO REASON, Fix the reason for the leak OR the leak WILL BE BACK.
That is very good advise. When I removed mine they all gave a little hiss. Not much, but enough that I was glad I replaced them. Most of my pinion seals are leaking too, but nothing like the OP's. I went with a brass fitting and hose BTW.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks