• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some direction on locating drivetrain clunking sound,

Today after having driven about 10 miles, I noticed a knocking sound coming from the transmission tunnel. This only happened coming off the line, and when in motion. My transmission had failed to shift out of first gear last week. I got it home to find it about an entire quart low on fluid. I had just changed the oil and filter about a month ago. I don't have any leaks. Im guessing I must have failed to fill it all the way, or perhaps had an air bubble or so. The knock is not constant. Upon arriving home I removed the torque converter cover, and found one of the bolts only snug, so I cranked it tight. I also noticed about 6 teeth on my flywheel partially stripped, and had 1/2 of what appears to be washer from the nose cone on my starter that had broken. Found that in the bottom of the cover. My transmission shifts very smoothly at about 25 and 45mph now that the fluid level is okay. Is only one flywheel bolt enough to cause an intermittent knock? I test drove it, the knock was gone, but im not convinced that's not dumb luck, it knocked hard a couple times. My rearmost u joints starting to go a bit. I was planning to do it this weekend. Could a tiny bit of play there translate to a noise in the tranny?

Jeepsinker

Have you checked the transmission mount and motor mounts? And yes, a loose converter bolt (even just snug) can cause a good bit of racket. You could have a cracked/ broken flexplate too. If that is the case you will find out soon enough.

135gmc

Also be sure that the U-joint flange bolts are tight. It doesn't take a lot of motion in these bolts to result in a definite ckunk.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks